Replacing or Repainting Grill '01 Exp. EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobycane74

Reaction score
Hello Expedition Guru's. First real post in braining storming a new project for my 2001 Ford Expedition EB.

As with a lot of the Expedition's, the front grill has faded and looks terrible.

I honestly considered repainting it after years of fighting the task of using 'back-to-black' solution to keep it looking decent...but ultimately have lost that battle.

But considering this is a 2001, with 108k miles on it, (i am the original owner) and looking to keep it awhile and wanting to keep it viable, running good and just upgrade some options on it, I have considered replacing the front grill. Not with an OEM replacement - but with a "honeycomb" style, that was available on the same year F150's.
8f399dee8c044f688d750c31a5b15253_490.jpg
a83457227c9a4f0eb614a8edb92e16bd_490.jpg
Now, I really like the honeycomb style, it gives it a cleaner look and more of an updated look too.

Here is my dilemma, I can easily purchase a whole new grill assembly as pictured above, but I would have to endure in painting the trim around it to match my truck (Estate Green), which could cost me a couple hundred bucks (not too interested in that route).

I am wondering, it is possible to actually remove the grill itself on both the new part and the OEM part assemblies, and just swap them out individually?

Would that be a pain in the neck? Or more of a wiser decision?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions all welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tank_Snake

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaking the actual grill portion just pops on with clips.
I figured this because mine is slightly "aged" and it pops in an out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here is aftermarket attached to mine. The original grill is not held In with fasteners. Looks to be glued or pressed in. IMG_1989.JPG

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take off.

Tape off the parts you dont want painted.

Spray with paint or plastidip of choice.

OP
OP
nobycane74

nobycane74

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I was able to locate a 2001 Ford F-150 grill insert in excellent condition at a scrap yard in central Ohio, I had my father go and investigation it to actually see the condition...it worked out and appeared to be in excellent condition, guy wanted $25. Bought it, and my parents, since they are coming down to visit me in Florida here soon...they are going to bring it down with them. So far - so good.

OP
OP
nobycane74

nobycane74

Reaction score
UPDATE #2.
Spent some time this week repainting the new grill replacement... that will endure a newer/fresher look on the Expedition.
IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG

houlster

Reaction score
So does it actually fit? I wanted to do the same thing but everything I found online said the inserts were a different size between the F150 / Expedition & you had to swap the whole front / headlight surround piece. They sure look the same though.

--Dan

OP
OP
nobycane74

nobycane74

Reaction score
So does it actually fit? I wanted to do the same thing but everything I found online said the inserts were a different size between the F150 / Expedition & you had to swap the whole front / headlight surround piece. They sure look the same though.

--Dan

I will begin working on this replacement install this weekend... everything I have seen, read and physically compared indicates they are identical in size, and the fastening clips are identical too.
So stayed tuned...and I will report (with success hopefully), and post finalized pics.

[keeping fingers crossed] :party52:

OP
OP
nobycane74

nobycane74

Reaction score
UPDATE #3.
EPIC FAILURE.

Come to discover that the new honeycomb grille is doesn't fit. It is about 0.5" short on both sides. The tops and bottom clips align perfectly...however, it is too short on either end.

It was almost impossible to ascertain how that occurred. The initial explanation is that the grille is truly not from a 2001 Ford F-150 and the scrap yard attendant did not know his ass from a hole in ground and had them mislabeled.

I looked up the part number on the grille insert, it indicated it was from a 2003-2004 F-150.

So I am at a loss right now...have the whole grille assembly and lights out and now I am beginning to repaint the original OEM grille and put it back all together. Ad chalk it up as a $20.00 loss for the part, and 2 days pulling the assembly and lights out.

I am not sure I am trusting the aspect of buying a replacement aftermarket grille/assembly that is honeycomb and pull out that specific insert and install into mine, because I fear the notion that it will not technically be the same size dimensions.