Replacing Retractable Running Boards with Non-Retractable Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arneycl

Reaction score
I'm having issues with the driver side running boards like so many others. I want to remove the retractable running boards and replace with regular non-retractable running boards. Problem is I keep running into products stating these running boards will not work with retractable running boards. When I ask the company why that wouldn't work no one can give me an answer. Has anyone else removed their retractable boards and put regular boards on? If so, where and what did you purchase? Thanks!

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having issues with the driver side running boards like so many others. I want to remove the retractable running boards and replace with regular non-retractable running boards. Problem is I keep running into products stating these running boards will not work with retractable running boards. When I ask the company why that wouldn't work no one can give me an answer. Has anyone else removed their retractable boards and put regular boards on? If so, where and what did you purchase? Thanks!

And I will follow along this thread with baited breath... I have an '08 Navi, that neither side is operational, and want to do exact same thing. And am running into same responses. I have checked ebay, etc, no luck.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me preface this to say I have not done this myself. However, it makes sense that you would be told the nerf bars on eBay would not work with the retractible running boards on your truck. The way I read that is you cannot swap the actual "boards" or "bars" with the ones they list as they probably won't attach and work with the retractible system.

I can't imagine why you couldn't completely remove the retractible system and install any other factory or after market system in their place. Before you do, though, are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper to fix your steps?

If you do completely remove your steps, you may need to visit a dealer to re-program you computer so it no longer thinks you have them installed.

OP
OP
A

arneycl

Reaction score
I've been told it costs upwards of $1500 each to replace because Ford cannot fix them. I seen a post by "Dariod" where he said he replaced his with manual ones. I've sent him a private message but haven't heard back. I was asking him where he purchased his. I called three parts stores I found online and all said that their boards would not work.

I changed mines to manual ones. You can get regular running boards for cheap. I was able to sell my power boards for good money as I removed them when truck was brand new. Then i got oem EL regular boards and installed those.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It says he got OEM running boards which means he either bought them from the dealer or from a junk yard. I'll go with junk yard as he says he got them cheap. My assumption is both use the same mounting brackets so it should be an easy swap.

One thing you can do is look under your truck and note how they are mounted. Then go to a junk yard and compare with one that has regular boards.

I did a quick search and came up with the following site. Maybe they can help? I like Westin products. They have others as well. Reason I'm including this link is they have the mounting brackets in the search. You may or may not need them.

Client Validation

pjeski

Reaction score
I have not done this yet, but a body shop that I trust did quote the work to put the factory fixed running boards on in place of my retractable ones. They claimed they looked into it and that it would work. I am planning on having it done this spring. The only thing that worries me is that there may be some weird electrical issue with removing them. (Like removing the beeper for the front parking assist, which causes a fault).

(Sorry for the necro-thread)

warrencjacob

Reaction score
From what I have been able to learn, clearly the OEM and aftermarket boards will fit as to size, the issue is the mounting brackets. The retractables are mounting in two places. The fixed OEM boards are mounted in three places. Not sure if all the frames are drilled the same way so that either type of board can be installed at the factory or whether the fixed board vehicles get the holes drilled for 3 brackets and the retractables get only two and in different locations so that not even the outer two sets of holes will match up with the fixed.