Restoring running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vik5251

Reaction score
I have a 2004 gen 2 expedition. It didn't come with running boards but I found some from a 2005. I'm planning on painting the plastic bumpers and the plastic on the doors. So how do I make the running boards look better? Do I just paint them with plastic body paint? Will it be tough enough. Do I use bed liner product? Is there something out there that restores plastic and protects it?

Reaction score
I have an 05 Limited with the running boards that faded too. I found by washing the plastic boards with acetone, taping the surrounding body color, and masking off the doors and fenders about up to the door handles, that I could spray paint the running board plastic with Rustoleum Bed Liner spray in black. It has lasted over a year in the Florida heat and still looks new and a power washer won’t make it flake. 2-3 cans will cover two running boards and the rear bumper step cover. Warning: the spray cans may loose their pressure when the can still has product in it. Be sure to shake the can frequently while using it to avoid this and apply it during warm temperatures to insure high pressure in the can. The spray is a much wider pattern than your typical spray bomb so mask more than you think you will need. Also protect your garage floor or driveway as you will be making a mess.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
For restoring black trim, I use a product called "Wipe New" which is sold in Walmart among other places: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wipe-New/24726536

It turns faded and oxidized black plastic parts black again. I've tried Mother's "Back to Black" also, but it doesn't work quite as well, needs about three applications and doesn't last more than a month or two.

If you have black plastic trim, like running boards, luggage rack and the rear step, "Wipe New" is a miracle for restoring the color. It lasts about six months and really makes the stuff look new. A bit pricy at $15 for a TINY bottle, but you'll do the whole car at least twice with it.

Trust me, this stuff really works well.