Right rear axle problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TyDaddy

Reaction score
After a light search I couldn't find a post on this, if it exists I apologize. First thanks for having me. About a year ago my 07 EXP 2wd started making a hard thunking noise when changing directions, ie from drive to reverse and vice versa. I got under the vehicle and found the right rear axle shaft to have lots of slop and could be turned a bit by hand. It's getting worse, and now when cornering under acceleration there is a lot of noise coming from back there. I am mechanically inclined and have access to a fair amount of tools. I also have some experience swapping parts and access to lathes and or mills if necessary. I assume this is a common issue as the one axle that can't easily be found online is the right rear. My question is whether it is likely to be the axle itself, a cv joint, some bearing or other part that is my likely culprit? Secondly how difficult is it to get the axle off the vehicle? Thanks in advance for any advice you gentlemen and ladies can offer.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like possibly something went awry with the 3 rd member. Possibly a bearing or gear. Are you hearing any rumbling from the rear as you drive? If so does it get louder with speed? As far as taking it apart, it's not difficult but if you end up taking apart 3rd member back there, you will have to learn how to do the shimming/proper torquing to make it work right. As far as removing the axle, their is a pin that runs through the differential that has to be removed. Theirs a bolt that holds it in the differential. Once removed, the pin slides out, and so does the axle. It should be pretty obvious what failed, once you get the Differential cover off, and oil drained. Keep us posted what broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TyDaddy

Reaction score
I only hear serious noise during acceleration and maybe a slight whine when coasting downhill. I'll do some research on the 3rd member. Thanks for the idea.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait too long, rear axle noises can go from bad to worse real quick. If something locks up, that can be a dangerous situation. Dismantle it and see what you've got!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk