Rotors and pads / factory or something else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_M_

Reaction score
Hi again!

One of the front rotors in my 2013 Expedition is out of shape ( heavy steering wheel vibrations while breaking) so I will replace both as well as the pads. Should I go with factory parts or do you guys recommend something else / better?

Thanks a lot!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most autoparts stores offer premium rotors and pads. I would go with the best they have it will be less expensive than going with Ford OEM parts from the dealer unless you go through Rock Auto or someplace like that. I would personally stay away from slotted and drilled rotors, they look cool but I don't think they do much for normal driving and the cheap ones are drilled through from one side to the other instead of drilled from each side with staggered holes.

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll offer a different opinion. I've had great success with pads/rotors from an ebay seller called Brakemotive. The pads are Powerstop brand, also got drilled/slotted rotors in the package. See here: http://ebay.to/2qknv9V

I just recently put this very set on my 2013 Expy limited.

The kit came with everything necessary except the anti-squeal goo. I used a similar set on my old F250 as well.

OP
OP
M

M_M_

Reaction score
Thank you, guys!

Neilster1 - are Powerstop pads better than OEM? I'm not familiar with this brand - I'm asking because the package price for front and back seems to be the same as Ford dealer price

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to say. That price includes rotors all around as well. If you can get them all at the dealer for that I'd buy dealer.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If memory serves me correct, Roush uses Powerstop on the brake upgrade for the Roush Mustang. So you should be OK with the quality and the brand. Ceramic pads will last longer and give you more stopping power. You really don't need drilled and slotted rotors for an Expedition but they certainly won't hurt anything. If it is a good price, I see no reason not to go for it.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rotors had not been changed in a long time (or never) when I replaced them and the old rotors were rusted on to the hub. Hammering didn't break it loose (maybe if I had a lift where I could get a good swing but not on jack stands). I had to make tool to get them off. I used a large long bolt with a nut, hold the nut and turn the bolt to 'press' the rotor away until breaks loose, turn the rotor and repeat until its loose.
The only other thing to be careful about is the bolts on the caliper slides take almost no torque, in the inch pounds not foot pounds, I totally sheared one off :) Luckily the slides are cheap ($7 I think) and easy to replace. Depending on your mileage it might be a good idea to replace them anyway, mine had almost no lubrication left and what was there was discolored.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like EBC pads and rotors. There are a handful of different compositions for the pads and a few different rotor options. They wear well, last long (even with 35" and 37" mud terrains on my full size chevy's). Not sure what the oem pricing is but I think these go for around $100/axle for pads. I like the 'green stuff' and the 'red stuff'. Quality performance, low dust.