Rotors and pads / factory or something else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shudder goes away. It always appears at about 40 - 45 mph, when I lift the gas pedal and gently apply the brakes (such as when on a county / state highway and the traffic signal turns red much further ahead).

I have replaced brakes and rotors and drums for decades on my other vehicles - but now face physical limitation and can't do brake work.

A loose caliper bolt makes sense.
I drive the same way and a vibration like that would be very noticeable and annoying.

I'm kind of at the point in life too where my knees can't take the bending to do what I need to do to replace brakes, so I can relate to that.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally prefer Raybestos pads and rotors. Be careful because they have different grades. Get the "top of the line".

If you are doing them your self be diligent about removing any rust o the calipers underneath the stainless steel slide clips. If you are having a hard time get the pads in, remove the clips and clean again. You may have to use sand paper.

If you have had any problems with uneven brake pad wear, I highly recommend getting a rebuilt caliper AND caliper mounting bracket AND caliper slide pins w/boots. Some place sell these greased and assembled. This seems excessive, but is the only way I have "cured" excessively uneven pad wear. Around $50 each side, plus shipping, after core charge from Rock Auto.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to be able to put larger diameter rotors on and matching caliper's and Rotors but have never looked into it. I figure with the 20" wheels we should have bigger brakes. Just a thought.

Agreed.

Any truck that size should have FAR larger brakes, really...

My bimmer is like a tonne lighter and has brakes with 2-3 times the surface area. Needless to say, they brake better too.

Is there a good kit?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Any truck that size should have FAR larger brakes, really...

My bimmer is like a tonne lighter and has brakes with 2-3 times the surface area. Needless to say, they brake better too.

Is there a good kit?
Since my truck is brand new, I haven't looked into it but I think I will once it's time for rotors and pads. I can't be the only one that has asked that question.