Rough idle and power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vehicle is 2003 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6L. 162k miles on it. Today while sitting at a stop light, in gear, my idle became a bit rough. I could feel what felt like a vibration every now and again. When the light turned green, I noticed a slight stutter when taking off and what seemed to be a loss of a bit of power. When driving home there was some stuttering as I drive, especially when I have it more gas to get up over a bridge. At a cruising speed you could feel a stutter every now and then. When going up that bridge and having to give it more throttle, the check engine light began to flash. I'm guessing this is an ignition coil that may of went bad? Just wanted check here to see if anything could offer anything before I proceed.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You're having a horrible misfire, find out which cylinder it is (the check engine light), then obviously proceed from there.... check plug, coil, fuel injector and report back then we can help once we narrow it down.

One of the oldest tricks I use to help determine if it's the coil or Injector is by swapping with another cylinder and seeing if the misfire follows the other cylinder, if it doesn't then I'd pull the spark plug out and inspect it and the if that too looks good I'll do a compression test since the plug is out already

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're having a horrible misfire, find out which cylinder it is (the check engine light), then obviously proceed from there.... check plug, coil, fuel injector and report back then we can help once we narrow it down.

One of the oldest tricks I use to help determine if it's the coil or Injector is by swapping with another cylinder and seeing if the misfire follows the other cylinder, if it doesn't then I'd pull the spark plug out and inspect it and the if that too looks good I'll do a compression test since the plug is out already

Thank you for the information. I used my Actron PocketScan to run this test. I got the following codes. Where should I start?

P2196 OBD-II Trouble Code: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P2198 OBD-II Trouble Code: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P0401 OBD-II Trouble Code: Insufficient EGR Flow

P0306 OBD-II Trouble Code: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

Also, is there a graph showing which order the cylinders are? Like which is 6? Is this correct?
Ford-4_6.jpg

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok great job on pulling codes and yes the graph you posted is correct to your engine, locate the EGR valve and clean it out if you can, clean out your throttle body too while you at it but don't forget to check the spark plugs, injectors and coils as mentioned before.

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok great job on pulling codes and yes the graph you posted is correct to your engine, locate the EGR valve and clean it out if you can, clean out your throttle body too while you at it but don't forget to check the spark plugs, injectors and coils as mentioned before.
Is it possible that the misfire is causing the other codes to pop? I'm going to clean the egr and throttle body as you suggested. Just curious if the spark plug, ignition coil or even the boot would make the other codes pop.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got a rich condition on both banks 1 and 2 which is saying your computer is telling your 02 sensors that the injectors need more fuel. But in reality its sending too much fuel, you'll need to do a couple of things run a fuel pressure test. Your diaphragm in the fuel pump regulator could have failed, or your engine coolant temp sensor failed, making engine think it's cold even when warmed, sending too rich a mixture. The misfire on cylinder 6 is most likely a coil, or injector, but do as habbibie stated swap around both parts, see if code moves cylinders. Pull that spark plug, compression test that one bank, and replace that plug, unless it looks fine. And definitely clean out egr port, they get clogged with carbon. I like to use a metal coat hanger, some carb clean, and spray the heck out of it till wire makes its way cleanly through. Check your egr valve also to be sure it's working.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Is it possible that the misfire is causing the other codes to pop? I'm going to clean the egr and throttle body as you suggested. Just curious if the spark plug, ignition coil or even the boot would make the other codes pop.

To be honest if I was in your position I'd chase after the egr valve before anything else. It's not the O2 sensors but the misfire is the weakest link that couldn't handle the slightest change in air/fuel ratio mix, the O2's are reading a change in air flow and the worn spark plugs aren't igniting with the lack of air, so I suggest scoping the EGR first cause the other codes pop up with almost any failed sensor in the motor. Clean the egr and the two pipes leading up to it, this also would be a decent time to put seafoam through the intake manifold vacuum line, check the plugs you'll probably see them coated in carbon build up...

LoL moose is on page with me but in the few crappy cars I've owned i noticed running rich the ECU is over correcting making me think it is a fuel issue when in reality is an air issue and the ECU making me chase my tail.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
How I use to clean egr ports lol, go to Walmart... buy a skinny baby bottle cleaner and spin it inside the ports with a drill, adding an extension via a wire rope hanger helps if you can for sure feel the extension isn't going to come apart from spinning.

My hint comes in thanks to Honda's J30 & J32 motors which are famous for clogged egr ports and mated to the worst automatic transmissions ever known to man

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got a rich condition on both banks 1 and 2 which is saying your computer is telling your 02 sensors that the injectors need more fuel. But in reality its sending too much fuel, you'll need to do a couple of things run a fuel pressure test. Your diaphragm in the fuel pump regulator could have failed, or your engine coolant temp sensor failed, making engine think it's cold even when warmed, sending too rich a mixture. The misfire on cylinder 6 is most likely a coil, or injector, but do as habbibie stated swap around both parts, see if code moves cylinders. Pull that spark plug, compression test that one bank, and replace that plug, unless it looks fine. And definitely clean out egr port, they get clogged with carbon. I like to use a metal coat hanger, some carb clean, and spray the heck out of it till wire makes its way cleanly through. Check your egr valve also to be sure it's working.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

How I use to clean egr ports lol, go to Walmart... buy a skinny baby bottle cleaner and spin it inside the ports with a drill, adding an extension via a wire rope hanger helps if you can for sure feel the extension isn't going to come apart from spinning.

My hint comes in thanks to Honda's J30 & J32 motors which are famous for clogged egr ports and mated to the worst automatic transmissions ever known to man

Thank you both for the help. I plan on working in everything after work tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes and what I find out. Also, don't worry, I have another vehicle. I won't be driving this one to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it came out to be the ignition coil. I ordered it today. Haven't had time to do anything all week because of work. The EGR problem was because the hose was off of the top. :mad: