Rough idle then a bad miss with blinking check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocky

Reaction score
Started up with rough idle then as i accelerated felt a bad miss then check engine light started blinking , pulled over and light quit blinking and went out . Still running rough ...............260k miles , this happened before and i believe the shop replaced a coil pack , probably another has gone bad ?

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad coil, but, you need to pull the codes first. Places like Autozone will read your codes for free.

MWguns

Reaction score
Def need to pull codes first. I had an issue similar to yours, and was only getting a single lean code P0174 i believe. I checked all my vacuum lines, and ended up needing to put a fuel pump and filter in it. Runs like a top now.

jaytron

Reaction score
I second checking for vacuum...the PCV line/valve is common problem.....spray some brake cleaner when idling rough in area along the PCV line and if it picks up to normal then you have a leak somewhere(might not be the PCV line just a vacuum leak also)

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't brake cleaner melt certain types of plastic?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

texasscot

Reaction score
Get codes (best to buy a cheap reader).
Identify which cylinder is misfiring.
Swap coilpack from the misfiring cylinder with one of the others.
Clear codes.
Start engine.
If code reappears on the same cylinder, pull spark plug and check gap. If gap is big get new plug.
If code appears on the cylinder you put the coilpack from the original misfiring cylinder on, change the bad coilpack.
You can buy 8 coils on eBay for around the price on one at the local autostore.
If this doesnt work then its something else :)

cmeswme

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Ford Expedition with the 4.6 engine, 2 wheel drive. Having similar problem. Inconsistently go to accelerate and I get the hesitation or mild sputtering. But no check engine light. Funny though, I notice this happening on and off around 41 mph. I'm scratching my head to change all the plugs or coils, maybe replace the injectors ??? Checked for codes, nothing there, no codes. :(