Scammed or Clueless? 2009 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steaming Mad

I picked up a 2009 Expedition EL last night from NJ used (only) car dealer. I had posted earlier, that it test drove fine, and I had a Ford Dealer do the standard used car inspection. And that they found some codes (someone had tried to clear some), mostly battery/antitheft.

So I picked it up last night and drove it home. My friend followed in another car, and noticed some smoke (and so did I). But it was night and raining, so I thought little of it.

This morning, it will not start, and blowing tons of grey black smoke.

I supposedly get a 3 month powertrain warranty, but they did not give me paperwork last night. And I cannot drive it 90 miles back there.

I like the vehicle, but am trying to figure the best approach to force them to put (likely engine is bad) in proper working order.

Suggestions???

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check new purchases laws and lemon laws in your state. Most I believe have 24 hours or so you can return the item you bought. Get that thing back to them ASAP and kill the deal. Looks like a problem vehicle

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By you post I would say you answered your own question. You may have a tough time getting that warranty paperwork and you should have never closed the deal without it. Hopefully I am wrong.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would imagine it is "buyer beware" on used vehicles. Luckily for you there are members on here that can help you diagnose and fix it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the fact that the vehicle has over 100K on the clock makes it exempt from coverage under NJ's Used Car Lemon Law. NJ does not have a "cooling off" period either during which you can change your mind after signing the contract. However, it is unlawful for the dealer to misrepresent the mechanical condition of a used car or to fail to disclose any material defect. Get back down to the dealer. Ask for the warranty paperwork first. Once you have it in hand explain the mechanical issue and get it documented. Then see about getting out of the deal. If that fails, see what they are going to do to fix it. You may end up in small claims if all else fails.

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, folks

Thanks for the feedback

I had done a lot of background research - which vehicle, what options, what year had fewest problems, JD Powers, Consumer Reports, sites where people report mechanical problems by year for a model, etc.

Then, I found the few within driving distance, and ran the dealers with respect to BBB, yelp, google+, Cars.com and other reviews, that led to weeding out dealers with problems.

Also, I chose this (independent used) dealer over others, because they offered a 3 month powertrain warranty, others were only As Is

It was a 2009 Expedition EL, 4x4, HD Towing package. 130,000 miles. Very good shape in and out. Yes, some paint issue on back life gate. I chose the 2009, to get past engine/tranny issues in the 2007-8 model.

Test drove about 30 miles going to Ford Dealer for a used, they inspected it and showed me the codes.

The dealer got it back, and said they dealt with the engine/antitheft codes.

That was when this issue came into play. Lots of smoke, would not start.

When I called the salesman, he seemed shocked. He said they dealt with apparent problems and it seemed fine. He asked if I had run over anything on the way home (about 90 miles). I said I had been driving 30 years, and would know if I had run into anything in a 6,000 pound vehicle.

He said they would take care of everything. I believe he also said he would extend the powertrain warranty to a year instead of 3 months. Frankly, if they do everything they say, I will plaster the dealer with phenomenal reviews. On the surface, they seem to be what their reputation said. If I am reimbursed.

So it was towed to my mechanic this morning. My mechanic looked at it.

- Not quite sure what he said, but there was an Oxygen sensor issue, and I guess it was going all out.

- The air filter was really filthy

- The last oil change was apparently 16,000 miles ago.

- So at the moment, the subject seems more like their mechanic is a little clueless.

Because of these:

- I asked him to do a tuneup, oil change with proper motorcraft filter and 5W-20 SAE synthetic blend oil

- I asked him to check the cam phasers, lifters, and timing chain for any perceived issues.

- I asked him to check all fluids for issues. (But the dealer had told me they filled everything up.)

I suspect it will drive OK if all these things are done. Then to get the promised reimbursement. I will definitely send him picture of the very dirty oil filter.

If there is any other things you think I should request of my mechanic while he has the Expedition today, please let me know.

Last edited:

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, you are going to be a lucky fellow if you come out ok on this one.

16k since last oil change???? If thats a fact this rig is one to put back up for sale. That is the single most important thing you can do on any rig, especially a Ford modular engine.

Dirty air filter, same response. All evidence is the last owner didn't give a crap about taking care of it.

dealer was shocked, no actual work done to the rig before sale. All typical of used car sales outfits, especially if not actual manufacturer new car dealer. These guys are in business to flip a car with as little $$$$ put into them as possible, especially ones on the street corner with names like Quality car sales, we carry contracts.

I am very skeptical of that warranty/repair deal they gave you. You better make sure it is actual as you are about ready to get a lot of money invested in that rig. What you ask your mechanic to do is good stuff, but going to be very, very expensive

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on Expedition. Mechanic called and said on further inspection, blown head gasket. 20 hours labor and parts, likely $2500. I am calling dealer before proceeding, see what they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes