school a brutha please....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'm dropping my 09 super duty w/6.4PSD lariat ultimate with every single option except snow plow prep- everything that can be done to it is done to it.... it's one robust ***** and in great condition. Hate to see it go, i truly do- but 50% financial 50% the fact that it's 'done' means it's gotta go.

i gotta tinker... i can't help it.

picked up my second eXp. this one is a 00 EB 4x4... white w/beige trim. already dropped some bronze faced black 20" wheels on it, and coop 285/50's... I'll be lowering it a touch- maybe a couple inches up front and three in the back. interior is okay, needs some elbow grease... will be fine soon enough.

engine is 5.4 2v w/ 201k miles. engine trans and transfer will be swapped for new. I've got a total turn key price of $3k for this, and will toss them an extra $600 for forged internals. another 5.4 2v... I've got a choice between a windsor block or a michigan block... first question:

which block is better with boost in mind? from what i gather one is 8 bolt main (2per?) the other is a girdle almost bed plate? conventional wisdom says go for the girdle/bed plate... which of the two is that? any other differences in blocks?

i'm having difficulty determining whether a roots or a procharger is what i want to do.... there are advantages and disadvantages to both... any experience from anyone there?

also.... any particular cam profile good for lower to mid torque better than another i should look at? coming out of magnum mopar blocks, the last gasser (for a vehicle- built several gm mercruiser engines in between) there was a 210 profile 'sausage' cam that was an off idle monster that held decent up to around 3500, which is about what i'm looking for... any thoughts on this?

any input greatly appreciated...

OP
OP
D

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • Windsor blocks are all marked with a “W” in the casting in two places.
  • Romeo heads employ bolt-on cam journal girdles.
  • Windsor heads don’t have cam journal girdles, just individual journals.
  • Because Romeo and Windsor engines have different timing cover/cam cover bolt hole sizing, it is best to use Romeo heads and blocks together and Windsor heads and blocks together.
  • Romeo blocks have jackscrew cross-bolted main caps.
  • Windsor blocks have dowel pin cross-bolted main caps.
  • Romeo engines have primarily six-bolt flywheel/flexplate flanges.
  • Windsor engines have eight-bolt flywheel/flexplate flanges.
  • Oil filter/cooling neck types vary depending on vehicle type. Timing cover depends on vehicle type.
  • Romeo cam sprockets are zero-fit and slip right on.
  • Windsor cam sprockets are pressed on.
  • Romeo cam covers have 11 bolts.
  • Windsor cam covers have 13 bolts.
  • Different timing covers for SOHC and DOHC.
  • Same basic timing chain/sprocket system for both SOHC and DOHC.
  • DOHC engines have secondary timing chains for secondary camshafts.
  • SOHC has a standard oil pump and DOHC has high volume

the search continues