screwing with the CHMSL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saw that one of the bulbs in the Center High Mount Stop Lamp was burned out the other day. If you have OCD like I do, one bulb out of 5 might as well be 4 of them. Unacceptable. Knowing that if I only replaced the one burned bulb, another would die tomorrow, or the replacement would be noticeably brighter than the rest, so I bought all new ones. Sylvania #2825 long-life incandescent. Not cheap either, but now I have spares? I honestly thought they'd be inexpensive 194's.

After replacing all 5 bulbs, the unit just didn't seem as bright as it probably should be. They aren't LED, but I saw an area of optical improvement & thought I'd share. First, the plastic chrome reflectors were dirty. Its not a water-tight sealed unit, so I broke down the assembly and cleaned the pseudo-chrome. They were pretty dusty and had water spots. The inside of the lens itself was also very dusty. And the outside of the lens was a little dull, had a fair amount of oxidation, which I helped with polishing compound.

dfherthy_zpsbc98mk0r.jpg

Then I noticed the design of the assembly itself allowed much light to bleed out. Why not contain the output of the bulbs to the fixture? What good does it do to light up the inner cavity of my roof?

dsgsdfg_zps81wdxa6u.jpg

No logical reason in my mind so I applied a strip of reflective metal foil tape to the inside of the lens on the horizontal planes, top & bottom. You can see trace amounts of the tape protruding from the edges. Created a light box is what I did.

yerydfgh_zpsxtvil0m1.jpg

I didn't take any exterior before photos, so here is a random FMF. I've always thought the bright red CHMSL stood out a bit on darker color Expeditions. Its more of function rather than form I suppose. Would be nice if the light was behind the glass.
er_flex_editionrear_three_quarter_view_zpsogwgasjj.jpg

So I thought I'd tone mine down a little, maybe make it look a little custom. Krylon Fusion plastic paint, black gloss. Put a little square of tape over the washer fluid sprayer/nozzle so you don't block it with paint. Got a little orange peel below the nozzle, but its not noticeable installed.

sdfgsdgh_zpsybll40mz.jpg

And here is the finished product. Looks better to me anyway. The light kind of disappears, which is what I wanted it to do. (Now I see that I am needing to repaint the glass window hinges)
sadfasdf_zpsgzlknens.jpg

Snapped this the other night. Its horrible, yes, but the CHMSL does appear brighter, almost as bright as my LED tail lights.
sdfgsdgf_zpsrjnqmove.jpg

I'll see if I can get a better shot if anyone cares. I feel like I made a definite improvement to the light output so thought I'd share. And yes, I'm aware there are cheap Chinese LED CHMSL's that you can get in tinted or clear. The reviews are not great.

(Hitch cover is in the garage because we've been towing recently)

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. Hard to tell how much brighter in the pic but I would imagine it made a difference. I have this aftermarket LED CHMSL as my original was oxidized. .... couldn't get the link to workbut it's the same ones you can easily find out there....
I agree the red clashes with a darker truck which is why I got the smoked color. It is definitely brighter than stock. Hopefully it lasts.

FYI the Dorman factory replacement hints it could be LED and I even emailed their customer service department who told me it was LED and it is NOT! I tried that first and returned it

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good but the paint might be a big no no. The OEM light is designed to meet Federal and DOT requirements blocking off and altering the light pattern COULD lead to you being at fault especially if a good lawyers catches it. Just a heads up, it's totally up to you risk vs reward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK