Shimmy after putting on 35s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever since I put my 35s on my steering wheel has been shaking a lot. sometimes worse than before and it usually depends on the road condition and how fast I am going. I have talked to a couple people who say that's just what happens when you add bigger tires. Any thoughts of what it could be and if I can make it stop?

Connor Clark

Reaction score
This might pertain but not 100% certain: on my ranger I had a problem similar but when braking. I read to replace the bushings on the sway bar. This did wonders for the little ranger but obviously might not apply to a larger scale vehicle quite as well.

waldo

Reaction score
I would take the truck to get the tires balanced at a different place and have the coilovers checked. If your shocks are worn you'll start to see a bumpy wear pattern on your tires. I have had my truck on 35s for years without any tire shake but I did put new shocks at the same time as the lift.

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the truck to get the tires balanced at a different place and have the coilovers checked. If your shocks are worn you'll start to see a bumpy wear pattern on your tires. I have had my truck on 35s for years without any tire shake but I did put new shocks at the same time as the lift.

That may be it. I didn't replace my struts when I did mine. Not sure if I want to do oem struts or maybe shell the money out for king coil overs or something.

waldo

Reaction score
I went with the ranch quicklifts adjustables and I'm super happy with them, under $660 for all four. Got them set to the 3rd softest setting (it has 1-9) and truck rides very smooth. It also has a wireless adjustment system but I haven't gotten it, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since I put my 35s on my steering wheel has been shaking a lot. sometimes worse than before and it usually depends on the road condition and how fast I am going. I have talked to a couple people who say that's just what happens when you add bigger tires. Any thoughts of what it could be and if I can make it stop?
Take your tires to a place that does RoadForce balancing. This is different than high speed balancing. They balance the tire and wheel dynamically then they load the tire wheel combo with weight by pressing it against a drum and spin it to locate any additional imperfections. I would do that before you change the shocks coil overs etc. Local shops around here charge about $20 - $25 a wheel. I do that on all of my vehicles and never have any tire shimmy issues.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been reading about how a lot of custom wheels have oversized center bores to accommodate many different hubs. Depending on the wheels, you might benefit from a set of hub-centric rings to center the wheels on the hub before you torque the lugs. I've got a set coming for my wheels. Google "hub centric rings" and see what others have to say. May be a cheap thing to try.

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$664.90 to be exact

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122073163978

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

well dang! I called the local parts stores and they said it was special order so I had to pay for that plus each strut was like 300... but thanks for the link I might go that route.

I've been reading about how a lot of custom wheels have oversized center bores to accommodate many different hubs. Depending on the wheels, you might benefit from a set of hub-centric rings to center the wheels on the hub before you torque the lugs. I've got a set coming for my wheels. Google "hub centric rings" and see what others have to say. May be a cheap thing to try.

Hey VB. Yeah my wheels cam with rings that sit around my hub and they are on there so that was a good thought. Its odd that it only does it every now and then so its not a consistent thing.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey VB. Yeah my wheels cam with rings that sit around my hub and they are on there so that was a good thought. Its odd that it only does it every now and then so its not a consistent thing.

When that start's happening try turning left or right to get the wheels to spin at different speeds. (so they aren't rotating in the same place, if it goes away, you could have a slightly out of balance or out of round tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360