Should a fairly competent backyard mechanic attempt the dreaded spark plug removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried the SeaFoam and carb cleaner but I am 3 for 3 on breaking them (2007 with 110k miles). Make sure you have the Lisle tool and an air compressor with extension wand before starting in. Also, I replaced the coil packs as I went and there was a faulty one which did what you explained (engine got jumpy and the check engine light flashed). I was never able to get a code from it since the light went off and the local service station said it's hard to get codes once the light goes off. As far as the class action suit on the plugs - they will only reimburse you if you spent more than $350 (I think) on the plug replacement due to them breaking and even then it is just the about over $350.
Yea I replaced the cylinder 5 plug yesterday. Broke of course. Used the tool to get it out tho. And plenty of compressed air lol. I woulda thought it was my coil to begin with bc my old Cadillac did the same thing over a coil, but when I swapped coils from different cylinder, the codes still said cyl 5 mis. But also it said random mis that time. So maybe it just didn't clear the code from the cyl 5 originally and when I put it into cylinder 1 it saw it as a random misfire? Maybe I should just replace the coil and see what that does. After I replaced the plug, however, the misfire on cyl 5 isn't triggering the CEL light anymore and it's running stronger with better MPG it seems. But now I'm thinking its got a clogged cat bc it sounds asthmatic on wide open throttle acceleration but only betweeen 3k and 4200 rpm. Along with sounding asthmatic it struggles to accelerate in that range as well. So I might take it to a local muffler shop with "good ol boys" who are damn good at hillbilly fixes without hurting the emissions of the vehicle, and see what they say.

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The suit only covers 2004-2008. Does that mean that my '01 didn't come with 2-piece plugs?
Right. Yours had the problem of spitting plugs out while driving down the road and destroying the threads in the head. So Ford kinda went from one extreme to the other lol

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, my misfire only happened around the 1500-2000 RPM range when pulling a 6000lb travel trailer
Yea mine does it at that rpm range too but around 40 mph. But only if I try to slightly accelerate without it downshifting. Then it misses and bucks. Which is why I'm thinking it could still be my coil.

mike206

Reaction score
You may want to give the warranty folks a call before making the trip to the shop; I had a bad coil pack and was told that it fell under the definition of "normal wear & tear" so it was not a covered repair. Hopefully your coverage is better than mine.

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea I don't figure they'll cover that. That's why I'm getting the normal wear n tear stuff outa the way on my own. Plus it's a 250 dollar deductible and if I can get a new coil for 45 to 70 bucks, plus a new catalytic converter, I should be able to do all that for less than the deductible.