Shudder when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubsfanfordman

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of similar threads on F150 forum, which give me some ideas but I'm still trying to figure this out, maybe one of you can help. The situation is when I pull a horse trailer (2 separate ones) with 2013 Expedition (tow package, 9200 lbs capacity, 6000 with 600 lb tongue weight if not with weight distribution) i get a shudder at 50-55 mph that feels like I'm on rumble strips. Can't feel it in the steering wheel but feel it in the vehicle, like drivetrain. The trailer I pulled last is a brand new trailer and was empty, so about 2500 lbs. I pulled my boat today, 3500 lbs, with no issue. I think the horse trailer has more tongue weight however than the boat, it's probably approaching 400 empty and the 600 limit with 2 quarter horses in it. The boat is a little lower profile for wind resistance, but I can't believe that matters. The horse trailers pull great once you get to 60 mph. I did have the tow/haul switch on the shifter on, it doesn't help or hurt the issue.

- torque converter - kinda think not because it doesn't do it with the boat. Also doesn't go away when I take foot off gas and tap brakes
- misfire due to coil pack being bad on a cylinder - again, doesn't do it when not towing, or with the boat so I think not

That leaves me with something to do with driveshaft/pinion angle, etc that would be affected by the greater tongue weight of the horse trailer? I would suspect the trailer but its been identical with 2 horse trailers. I see posts about roadmaster active suspension and/or installing air bags. Think that could help?

Also, I've done very little towing in the past, never had transmission fluid changed, now I'm at 60K, should I have it serviced or leave well enough alone.

JoeD

Reaction score
I have experienced the same at those speeds towing a 3400lb car on a 18' full deck trailer. First was panic that it was converter chatter, but it wouldnt happen always. I wasnt loading the car in the same spot everytime.
I found my Exp was real picky on tongue weight, I moved the car back on the trailer and take weight off it.
If you have cargo in the back that will drop it down too.

Lastly yes, as a maintenance item - service the trans - but I doubt that's your issue

PS - I do not recommend you use OD unless your on absolutely flat highway while towing

PPS - Towing is more that just hitching up and going when your dealing with real loads like horses, boats, campers, cars etc. You want and need some weight on the tongue, to much and your like a boat that cant come up on plane with not enough weight on the front axle.
Make sure you have the correct "drop" hitch for each trailer you use - those universal triple ball things are only good for pulling crap around your property

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
balanced vs. unbalanced tires? had this issue before. ST tires on bigger trailers are generally mount and go, whereas some of the performance trailer tires are balanced? Just a thought. let us know what you figure out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni