slight stumble in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok..high idle problem gone...

220 miles maybe more with OBD on and no misfire code. i FEEL a light tumble in motor when im at a stop in drive. stayed in driveway in drive and fell it every 3-4 minutes,sometimes couple min longer.... i feel it,lol. anyway,at about 70 mph which it does every day i feel it too. its feels like a tumble/stumble...slightly.

when truck had vacum leak and was at a high idle at a stop in drive i felt misfire once cause i felt moter tumble ....which i think "boom" code came up....but since idle fix,idle good.. its ok, no code but stumble is still there.

....thinking change BOTH coil packs....and then the plug number 3..cylinder 3 cause that was code. or change plug first. plugs and coils,wires,everything motorcraft but the MSD coils...lets say 12000 miles since new but like 3 yrs. ago or more. low miles for time span.

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
Maybe way off here, but when you had the vac. leak surely the computer compensated and you were running lean/rich and fouled out the plug for cyl. 3? Highly unlikely but just a thought.

Another thing you could do is swap coil packs from one side to the other. See if the miss follows. If not, that could rule out the coil packs.

Next I would pull the #3 plug wire, and swap it with another cylinder, see if the miss follows the wire, potentially ruling out the wire.

If that doesn't work/the misfire continues on cylinder 3, put a new plug in. See if it still has the miss. If it does, you're issue may be compression related or fuel related, as these tests pretty much rule out the ignition system.

Also, make sure to clean all connections for the coils and wires, and use a little dab of dielectric grease.

*Edit*

Also, a leaking intake gasket/cracked intake manifold could also cause this. May be worth looking into.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you considered replacing your throttle position sensor (F4SZ*9B989*AA). made a world of difference on mine.
let us know what you find.

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
got everything but the coils,maybe monday..... got the motorcraft original finewire single platium plugs and ford oem wires as well....waiting on msd coils. thats exactly whats on truck now over 3 yrs. hope i just fouled out a plug like prestigeworldwide mentioned.i ran a few weeks with high idle. im gonna change everything period.

truck runs fine85% of the time....smooth...but i feel the stumble. $266 at advanced auto...ill put all on for $125...."but",

when i get coils....ill put those on first myself so maaaaybe ill get away without plug change under freaking 17000 miles. maybe its a coil....;)

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to get a vacuum gauge and rig it up. A lot of things can be ruled out with this diagnostic tool.

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
vacum good docraymund....after tightening air filter cause it was loose fixed idle completely.

got coils today....those are first things going on after this snow storm....lol. you cant feel it much...barley buts its there.two weeks now after i fixed idle.hasnt got worst i can tell you that...keep you posted

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello...okay, coils last week came in...i put 169 miles on them.felt better but i STILL feel the tumble "slightly"at a light.so.....its not coils. TODAY...we are doing plugs and passenger side wires pretty bad on 2 back plugs. boot on plug stuck on back plug,second to back plug boot came off but left small piece on plug. trucks there for night we finish friday.
hoping wires are problem "tumble". others coming out easier.
lets see if a plug is fouled out also like prestigeworldwide suggested as we remove them. so far wires look heated on pretty good...which that isnt good.
IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0785.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze