So... What do ya'll think of my custom rear guard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
First gen (I know he doesn't have one) bumpers are mounted straight to the frame. There is no foam behind either bumper.

That piece of foam is $100! I think that's criminal to be allowed to charge that for a piece of styrofoam.

has an impact bar mounted to hard absorbers that is designed to bend downwards in a collision above 10mph

That 'impact bar' is $200 and not much more than tin and I also plan on replacing it with something a bit more stout.

Last edited:

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually its not so much about profit, because many of the uni body vehicles end up totaled after a collision. The crumple design is purely to transfer energy to something other than the passengers in a vehicle. First gens bumper does attach to the frame but at the same time there is alot of pretty flimsy steel in there and does bend and fold and absorb impact energy. I want always take my trailer hitch off. Partially because I have a 16 year old driving the vehicle and if does something stupid I'd prefer that I not push a hitch and ball through someones car, but because I've seen accidents were the driver of the car with a hitch was backing out and someone hit it and if it wasn't for witnesses he'd have been found at fault.

Shit happens and if everyone can suffer less damage so be it. Its why I kind of dig http://www.weathertech.com/bumpstep-original/

Plati

Reaction score
Look at Page 1 of this thread. I still wish I could buy one of these. Maybe I'll make one.
I think the shock absorbing design is better.

Avoid occupants getting whiplash.

Less fun , if you like that kind of thing I guess.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Noticed some movement, thought I'd update.

I was rear-ended by a distracted driver in a Denali Sub. The Denali was totaled. Bonnie suffered two dimples in the rear hatch.

I've identified a manufacturing change that needed to be made to ensure the welds penetrate because there was a potential failure or just the point of impact versus mass versus speed +/- acceleration/deceleration because evidence showed she was still accelerating upon impact..

Last edited:
OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
'Potential point of impact' photo post-manufacture v1.0 and post impact.
PhotoPictureResizer_191222_182741531.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_191222_182628631.jpg

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
And the damage to Bonnie versus the damage to the Denali. It was DOA at the location of impact.

Dimples.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_191222_181907572-1040x780.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360