Solid rear axle conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05expo

Reaction score
I am new. Some may make fun. My question is this. has anyone really looked into a solid rear axle conversion? I have an 05 eb. Seen all the leveling kits. Well tonight I was looking at a 4 link rear end with 6"-8" lift. My question why would that not work? Use a F150 axle. the springs look to be in same spot our Springs are and the 4 links look long enough to mount to the frame. And the lift, be close might just fit under the frame work for the irs or some minor cutting to give clearance without compromising frame integrity. Is this doable and not sure about expense. Basically useing an f150 4link 8 inch lift kit

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Put a bed cab on a crew cab f150, then mold the bed cab to the body and walla you got a solid axle expy...

But in all seriousness it's so epically not worth the time, the fabrication and the money to even remotely attempt this unless you're a die hard hardcore off roader or you're making 1000+ RWHP and Trying to be the first expy to hit low 9's

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont bother, just get an F 150 or a gen 1 expy so as to preserve the original appearance of your truck.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sure anything is possible for a price, you also have to consider the front. If you want to get that kind of lift you may want to look for a conversion kit from RIZE (Which they do not manufacture anymore, but maybe someone has one that did not sell) RIZE made a kit for the 2nd gens which was a 6 to 8 in lift but was expensive.

OP
OP

05expo

Reaction score
Not going with the conversion. But the front is the same as a f150 so that's easily lifted. The issue everyone cries about to much lift on cv joints is the rear you got that small hole the axle goes thru too much lift back there can cause damage if your suspension extends too much. Imo

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The axle goes through a similar hole on the 3rd gen Explorer (see link i posted).

Gotta go big or go home.

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im sure you can 4link the rear as long as you have room to mount the link brackets to the frame. I think you'll have to make it super tall to have any kind of up-travel

OP
OP

05expo

Reaction score
My thinking exactly. Looking at that link that guy with the aviator did a proxy 7 inches of lift. Seems to know what he is doing looked good and fairly easy. Use an f150 rear end and leafs. Or with more $$$ do a 4 link

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this happens that would be something. My dream is to convert my 2nd gen to SA front and rear. If i had about 10k to throw at it maybe I could lol. Someday

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk