Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiley84

Reaction score
talking to a few of my friends that work at a ford dealer, they told me that 05 and up have the problem with the plugs breaking. i was worried about my 04 but they said that it shouldn't be a problem with it. just on our 07 expy. they break cause of the carbon build up on them. when dealers change your plugs they soak them in injection cleaner to break up the carbon.

OP
OP
GEORGETOWN

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
From what I am learning is that they didnt put the extended spark plugs until 2005 (the extended ones are the ones that break) but I did soak WD 40 on the plugs before I took them out

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just something I found.If you go to NGK's website.They will tell you not to use anti seize.But to use a nickel alloy threaded plug to protect the threads in the head.Anti seize will give a false torque and risk damaging the cylinder head.Look under there technical bulletins.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well said........ best to let mechanic handle the plugs........ I had it done for $400. Money well spent in my opinion

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do NOT use anti seize use motorcraft plugs and tq to spec. anti seize gives you an innacurate tq. plus these plugs have a way of working themselves out. use the motorcraft plugs they have aluminum threads for your aluminum head. if not tourqed properly you will have problems, too tight you break threads too loose and spark plug comes loose and combustion causes it to rip out threads on the 2v motor go by the book. its amazing everyone goin by "the book" and not "their" own personal preference is having no problems

Totally agree........ I had purchased the bosch 4x platinum, but mechanic said they could not warranty unless they used motorcraft........ I went with motorcraft

bring_em_on

Reaction score
do NOT use anti seize use motorcraft plugs and tq to spec. anti seize gives you an innacurate tq. plus these plugs have a way of working themselves out. use the motorcraft plugs they have aluminum threads for your aluminum head. if not tourqed properly you will have problems, too tight you break threads too loose and spark plug comes loose and combustion causes it to rip out threads on the 2v motor go by the book. its amazing everyone goin by "the book" and not "their" own personal preference is having no problems

So I guess a little JB Weld on the threads is not a good idea either??

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but just an FYI, the anti seize on the 3V plugs does NOT go on the threads of the plug, rather just the extended tip/sheath (but not the strap). This is according to the TSB that Ford has out. This will help prevent the carbon build-up that makes the plugs break when removing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360