Speed Limit on Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sprayfoam620

Reaction score
Is Waze actually working now for car play? I’ve heard it was going to be a stand-alone car app and not car play required... I don’t remember where I read that at though.
Is Waze actually working now for car play? I’ve heard it was going to be a stand-alone car app and not car play required... I don’t remember where I read that at though.
It is through AppLink and it look to me like you will need an iOS device to run it natively? Also looks like the icon will show up with all the sync icons at the bottom of the screen instead of in CarPlay, I think it’s a win win deal!

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waze needs to make their app Carplay approved before we can use it on the big screen, at least for Apple. I think Android will already work with the main screen.

It’s really not a matter of Waze becoming “apple compliant” or “apple approved”, it’s actually the other way around. It’s a matter of when apple decides to stop restricting non-Apple apps like Waze. Apple puts way too many restrictions on its products. Treats us like babies. And like babies, we keep coming back for more, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

My wife never uses the Nav in her current vehicle but loves the HUD with the speed limit indicator. She averages 80 miles per day of around town driving and while her phone is her main Nav when needed, the speed limit indicator is always there as a healthy reminder.

I, like most of you, had completely written off in-car Nav systems...until I got my Tesla. Oh man...it's fantastic. Live Google Maps on the big screen. Amazing voice control. Integrated with the calendar on my phone. My daughter's Middle School changed names this year (it was previously the high school) and sure enough on the first day of school I used voice commands to navigate to it, and Google already had the updated listing. Real time. No annual updates. No highway robbery fee. I literally use my in-car Nav for virtually EVERY trip I take in my Tesla. The real time Google traffic data has saved me more times than I can count.

But back to Ford... ;)

Exactly, because Tesla allows real time Google Maps, just like we have on our smart phones. Genius. Too bad other car manufacturers are holding onto building clunky proprietary in dash systems.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s really not a matter of Waze becoming “apple compliant” or “apple approved”, it’s actually the other way around. It’s a matter of when apple decides to stop restricting non-Apple apps like Waze. Apple puts way too many restrictions on its products. Treats us like babies. And like babies, we keep coming back for more, lol.

Actually it is. I talked to the tech support at Apple way back when, and they told me that it was up to Waze to make their app compliant. I then along with others put comments on Waze's site that we wanted a Carplay version so that we could use it in the center screen. Now, 6 months later or so, it appears as if the have finally made that happen. I have not connected my phone via cable for a long time so I will try it tomorrow and see if Carplay appears on the screen like it shows in that article. SprayFoam posted.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it is. I talked to the tech support at Apple way back when, and they told me that it was up to Waze to make their app compliant. I then along with others put comments on Waze's site that we wanted a Carplay version so that we could use it in the center screen. Now, 6 months later or so, it appears as if the have finally made that happen. I have not connected my phone via cable for a long time so I will try it tomorrow and see if Carplay appears on the screen like it shows in that article. SprayFoam posted.

Are you sure? The news release about Waze is that they teamed with Ford to become Synch 3 compliant.

I tend to think that Apple is the one that restricts others from entering their ecosystem, or makes it super hard. At least that's been the history.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? The news release about Waze is that they teamed with Ford to become Synch 3 compliant.

I tend to think that Apple is the one that restricts others from entering their ecosystem, or makes it super hard. At least that's been the history.

I could find the email but I did find this that @LokiWolf posted back in October: http://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/275405/

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is through AppLink and it look to me like you will need an iOS device to run it natively? Also looks like the icon will show up with all the sync icons at the bottom of the screen instead of in CarPlay, I think it’s a win win deal!
So it’s currently working or it will be is what I was asking? I checked through the available apps and didn’t see it.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So it’s currently working or it will be is what I was asking? I checked through the available apps and didn’t see it.

So 2 pieces need to be in play. You have to have Sync 3 version 3.0+ and the version of Waze that supports it. As of the last time I checked the app it does not support Applink yet.