Start on second crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my expedition has been having trouble starting up. Usually after I driven it around for a few minutes and go to the store and come back. The car won't start till I crank it twice or keep cranking it. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After you check fuel pressure post the results Keep in mind it could also be a problem with the fuel pump relay on the circuit board in the fuse box

How many miles on the expy?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my expedition has been having trouble starting up. Usually after I driven it around for a few minutes and go to the store and come back. The car won't start till I crank it twice or keep cranking it. Please help. Thanks in advance.

The next time your drive like this and prepare to start the engine, turn the key to "run" but do not crank the engine. Turn it off and repeat. Then try to start the engine.

If it starts, it indicates the fuel pressure regulator is leaking pressure back into the fuel tank. By turning the key to "run" twice, you are enabling the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail before you try to start the engine.

After the engine starts - does it run smoothly or rough? If it starts and runs rough, it could indicate one or more fuel injectors are sticking open - allowing raw fuel into the engine when you shut off the engine. If it runs smooth, the problem is probably the fuel pressure regulator which is part of the fuel pump module.

rogere1

Reaction score
my 03 did the same. replace fuel pump. you will have to empty and drop tank. dealer will want a mortage on your home.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
After you check fuel pressure post the results Keep in mind it could also be a problem with the fuel pump relay on the circuit board in the fuse box

How many miles on the expy?

249,000 I'm going to get the pressure at autozone this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes