Startup rattle, 2004 Navigator 5.3 l 4V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
We just picked up a Navigator and it has a rattle for 5-10 seconds after a cold start. After that it goes away.

Does it sound like a timing chain tensioner issue?

Do the ting chains pump up with oil pressure?

Is there any way to test or replace them short of removing the front covers?

Thanks!
Ian

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Damn, I just checked and it has a Motorcraft filter. I'm assuming I should start pricing a timing chain set.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Ford product my family has ever owned has made that rattle since brand new. We use motorcraft filters it makes no difference. Mine does it, my fathers 2016 F250 does it, so did his 2011 F250 previous which was traded in at 90,000 miles just because a new truck was wanted, family members E-350 has done it since new. Oh and every expy I know does it. I've heard new ecoboosts that rattle starting cold too. Not telling you nothing's wrong but all these vehicles have done it that I know of when they sit for a while from brand spanking new. Just saying before you go spending money that might not solve your noise. A lot of people have replaced timing chains and tensioners and have seen no difference because the oil runs away from there when it's off for a long period of time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Thanks J, good to know. I'm wondering if I should pull the oil pan and some point and look for anything broken. I assume it was dealer maintained since it was one owner, so as long as it has regularly had Motorcraft filters thats the best I can ask for.