Steering Wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBodoh

Reaction score
My 2004 Expedition had developed a steering wander. It likes to wander a little at freeway speed. I didnt have the problem before.

I had a shop check the alignment and they said it was good and the tie rod ends were within the limits. I was able to twist the tie rods a bit. Also, when I grab the steering link, I can twist it and hear a metal on metal thump from the rack and pinion.

I am thinking the tie rods need to be replaced but also worried the rack may be bad. How do I know for sure without paying $100's to a shop?

Thanks

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To check the tie rods you need to jack up the car. You could place the jack under the lower control arm to lift only one side or put it under the crossmember below the engine (with a wood block so you don't dent the frame) to lift the whole front at once. Once the wheel is off the ground grab the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and shake it side to side. If you feel play it's most likely the tie rod ends. If you can have someone else shake the wheel you can look to see which part is worn.

By steering link I think you're talking about the steering shaft between the steering wheel and rack. The metal bang noise is normal. To test the rack, sit in the exp with the engine off. Turn the steering wheel left and right. If you feel play or a dead spot with no resistance then it could be the rack itself, or the joints in the shaft worn or something else in the steering such as tie rod ends. It's unlikely that you have an issue with the steering rack, but if you have a dead spot in the steering but everything else is tight then the issue could be with the rack.

If all of that is good then I would take a closer look at your tires. Age, wear, brand, pressure, etc.

OP
OP
S

SBodoh

Reaction score
Thank you. I will check that in the morning. When checking the steering, do I have the wheels up or on the ground?

Tires area new and have good pressure. Not sure what else it could be.

Thanks.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your tie rods are new it could be the bushing at the rack end. Have someone rock the wheel at 3 and 9 and feel the linkage for movement you will have to take the rubber boot off. You can do this yourself.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When checking the steering, do I have the wheels up or on the ground?

To check most of the components you will need to have the wheel off the ground. These include tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel hub etc.

With the car on the ground, if you slowly turn the steering wheel left and right with the engine off do you feel a spot with little or no resistance?

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your tie rods are new it could be the bushing at the rack end. Have someone rock the wheel at 3 and 9 and feel the linkage for movement you will have to take the rubber boot off. You can do this yourself.

Do you know if this bushing is replacable? If so, can it be done in situ, or steering rack has to be removed?

Edit: did you perhaps mean the mounting bushing?

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he was talking about the inner tie rod end because it's the only component in a rubber boot on the rack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360