Stiffer rear coil springs???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt06expy

Reaction score
i have a 2006 expedition and am wanting to know if there are stiffer rear coil springs I can install or if you can install air bags for towing? Any info is much appreciated!

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are some rubber cushions that mount in the springs, I've never used them but saw them on one of the trailer hitch websites, etrailer maybe

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's best to buy the springs as a set, do the front and back at the same spring rate or as a set designed to work together. Otherwise your ride will be shit. I would not recommend air shocks. What are you trying to haul that you need heavier springs? I used the complete KYB kit and they were stiffer than stock.

-Mike

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
Also my expedition is a 2nd gen 4 wheel independent suspension haven't been able to find any coil springs or air bags for it yet

Uberexpy

Reaction score
Invest in some type of weight distribution hitch. (Valley, Reese, U-haul, etc) Follow their instructions. Set the package up (tow & trailer) by the instructions with the distribution hitch. It will be the easiest drive ever.

I had a 20' enclosed trailer built to the specs. of my '05 XLT, 4WD, Tow pkg. I picked it up at the trailer factory and pulled it home w/o any weight dist. or sway. WORST drive of my life.

My next drive with the trailer was NC to TX. With weight dist. & sway. I felt like I was on rails.

I could explain my results with a 2 hr. weight and balance and physics lecture, but in my boss's words, its all PHYSICS.

I am an aircraft maintenance instructor and mechanic. Driving any vehicle, especially one with the mass of an Expy and a trailer needs to be though of as a unit. The owner's manual has the limits that Ford designed. Stay within those numbers, and you're driving one of the most versatile land vehicles ever designed. (I just hope that ticking cam noise doesn't stop the engine during an Uber run.)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although knowing dry weight is good, but are you going to be towing it DRY Always best to know the Gross weight rating of the trailer
The expy is designed to tow a certain weight limits WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED with a Heavy Duty Tow Package and when using a properly set up Weight Distribution Hitch you should not need any air bags or helper springs.