stock exhaust pipe size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

djsean

Reaction score
stock exhaust pipe

I am working on my 2005 ford expedition and want to change the muffler for a little bit more sound. What size is the inlet and outlet on the stock muffler? I wan to replace the muffler but not have to get any new pipe or use and adapters and stuff if possible. Is the stock piping 3 inches? Also any suggestions for what kind of muffler gives a good sound?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure off the top of my head, but just take a tape measure and measure from side to side. Its going to be an easy number like 2.5 or 2.75 so it does not have to be perfect. Just eyeball and you will be able to tell... I want to say the tailpipe on my folk's 04 is about 2.75in but that does not mean the pipe near the muffler is the same width.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am working on my 2005 ford expedition and want to change the muffler for a little bit more sound. What size is the inlet and outlet on the stock muffler? I wan to replace the muffler but not have to get any new pipe or use and adapters and stuff if possible. Is the stock piping 3 inches? Also any suggestions for what kind of muffler gives a good sound?

The inlet and outlet for the stock muffler and pipe is 2.5 inches. Contrary to what the flowmaster website says, it is 2.5 inches. thats what it was on my 2003 5.4, and my 2007 5.4.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Listened to my gut after tons of reading and research and pulled the trigger today.

20180113_164229.jpg

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I couldn't upload the sound file here so I Googled a 'free' hosting site so let me know if it doesn't play.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1UNsvdEgQvi

It's just a quick start-up and idle clip because I recorded it late last night when my son asked me how she sounded.
I'm rather pleased with the outcome to cost ratio. I didn't bother with CAT-back systems or even pricey Borla or Gibson exhausts... My goal was just a deep rumbly sound with no crackle or backpressure snap. Just old-school rumble rumble... and I got it!

I'll upload a longer recording in a few minutes and I'll get on her a bit so ya'll can hear more bandwidth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357