stock to HID?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so 2010 expy.

I have been reading for hours now about retrofitting/projector light projects... not willing to undertake that right now.

I am about to just buy the silverstar ultras, but what I really want to do is go HID... is there a simple HID swap available? I cannot seem to find anything!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Any hid kit will do. I have 55w hid in headlights and fogs and never had a problem with them so long you keep them aimed correctly. No projectors for me just stock head lamp housing

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any hid kit will do. I have 55w hid in headlights and fogs and never had a problem with them so long you keep them aimed correctly. No projectors for me just stock head lamp housing

Sorry to be rude, but that's complete BS. It doesn't matter how they're aimed since the reflector scatters the light all over. HIDs in reflectors may or may not blind the guy in front of you or directly across from you, but they are blinding someone. I probably encounter a half dozen or more cars with HIDs in reflectors per day now (seems to be all the rage) and every single one of them blind me from one angle or another. Usually there is no issue when they are behind me, but with the tint all around even high beams don't bother me. However, when anyone with HIDs in reflectors approaches from the front I am intermittently blinded as they approach. No one can stop you from being a selfish *******, but the least you can do is own it.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to be rude, but that's complete BS. It doesn't matter how they're aimed since the reflector scatters the light all over. HIDs in reflectors may or may not blind the guy in front of you or directly across from you, but they are blinding someone. I probably encounter a half dozen or more cars with HIDs in reflectors per day now (seems to be all the rage) and every single one of them blind me from one angle or another. Usually there is no issue when they are behind me, but with the tint all around even high beams don't bother me. However, when anyone with HIDs in reflectors approaches from the front I am intermittently blinded as they approach. No one can stop you from being a selfish *******, but the least you can do is own it.

I hate to say it........

But I agree with you 1,000%

Enough studies have been done and published to prove that HID in non-projector housings are less bright than anticipated but also scatter light in dangerous ways. I see this daily as well, especially with these clowns who do the "Carolina Slouch" (lift only the front of the truck 4+ inches and leave the rear stock) and then compensate for their headlights pointing at the sky by sticking ridiculously bright HID bulbs in the stock housings. That and the little tuner knuckleheads who add HID bulbs into their stock headlight alongside the regular bulb so there is no less than 2 bulbs illuminated in each housing at any given time.

Please be responsible and mod appropriately.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
No hard feeling guys but personally I'm not a fan of how the projectors look for our trucks are on the market.

Also I agree to some point yea they're blinding but aiming the beam has a lot to do with it, there are some people that like to see what's ahead and some who rather see what's ahead on the pavement instead.

Once again to each his own on this matter but as I stated I've never encountered a problem having HIDs, no one ever flashed at me, commented negatively regarding having them. The beam begins at 12ft past my bumper and ends at 72ft and the beam focus never rides higher than the truck lid of the car ahead of me (except for one slammed Miata I followed once)

My Sylvia zxe bulbs illuminated from 11ft to 39ft, so HIDs were & are a huge improvement in visibility and with the added fogs the width of the beam increases to see the curbs and lane markings near my bumper.

Overall I'm happy with the final results and switching back to halogens is not going to happen for me any time soon (greatly due to the fact mine are DOT approved ((very few companies offer this)) and I carry the certificate of approval with in the car)

To the OP: I say go ahead with it, it's an easy and rather cheap upgrade that if installed and aimed properly can benefit you greatly.

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aiming them has little effect. The problem is that now the focal point has been moved and the shape of the light source has changed (arc vs filament), so you have taken all the engineering that went into the design of the reflector to collect and direct light, and thrown it away. Aiming it down is like a bandaid on an axe wound.

Function over form, once you drive with a real set of quality headlights you won't care that they are a little bugeyed.

bjtor

Reaction score
I added a Philips HID kit to the stock housing and they do a very good job of letting me see what is out front. There is no doubt that these kits scatter light around but for those of us with aging eyes, the HID kits provide the illumination that is missing in the stock lights. I have used cheaper HID (and LED and HID projector) kits and those didn't light up the road (but they did a great job lighting up the tree tops and road signs!). Philips seems to have a smaller bulb that hits closer to the right spot in the stock housing.

Was getting flashed by oncoming drivers until I lowered the beam below the recommended aiming point and this seems to have solved the problem and still provides enough visibility for me.

p.s. if anyone wants a HID projector kit for an 08 Expy let me know!

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
was hoping someone would point me to a HID full headlight with housing and all, these kits are just not for me. I am not re-wiring anything, to include adding something to the battery. If that doesnt exist I guess I will be just fine with the Sylvania bulbs