Store bought Self Fuel Cleaners or Service Department Fuel Cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, my 5.4 needs a little work and the dealer is wanting $179 for a Fuel Cleaning which includes:
Fuel Injector Cleaner
Intake Valve Deposit Cleaner
Air Intake Cleaner

Does this seem worth it to anyone compared to buying the pour in liquid cleaners?

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had great luck with Lucas.

But I know some people would claim snake oil.

Good luck!

CJ

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used Lucas. It made my MPG worse pen and paper not lie-O meter.

Sea foam worked 10000x better IMHO for off the shelf. If you have compressor buy the one tool fits on fuel rail works the best.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just sent my injectors off to be cleaned. That cost about $180. And I guarantee that cleaning was 10x better of a cleaning than what the dealer will do for the same price.

And frankly, the pre-cleaning test of 7 of the 8 injectors actually looked pretty good- 1 was completely blocked. I've been running quality gas and a bottle of Techron/STP every now and then. The unknown is that the fuel filter may have been original at 170k miles when I changed it a couple years ago.

I'd pass on the dealer service.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, my 5.4 needs a little work and the dealer is wanting $179 for a Fuel Cleaning which includes:
Fuel Injector Cleaner
Intake Valve Deposit Cleaner
Air Intake Cleaner

Does this seem worth it to anyone compared to buying the pour in liquid cleaners?

Air intake cleaning:

Undo several screws under hood, remove the intake, and just clean it with whatever, like a baby wipe or something. It is highly unlikely that it'll be nasty or difficult.

Spray some MAF cleaner on the sensor while it's off. Easy.

5.4 tritons don't get CBU issues like some modern motors, so it won't be a mess or a challenge

Injectors:

2 bolts to pull up fuel rail and they can be unspected, they just snap in place.

If there's a serious mess on the spray tip you can just let it soak in a variety of $3 - 10 injector cleaner additives. You can also, afaik, apply a 9v battery to the contacts to make it spray and observe if the pattern is good. Maybe manually feed some injector cleaner thru it like that (NOTE: serious eye protection needed and don't get that on your skin either, it'll eat away at your skin)

Intake:
for that money they aint taking it off an soaking it or walnut blasting....and it probably doesnt need anything like that anyway.

Theyre charging you to have a technician pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your tank methinks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just sent my injectors off to be cleaned. That cost about $180. And I guarantee that cleaning was 10x better of a cleaning than what the dealer will do for the same price.

And frankly, the pre-cleaning test of 7 of the 8 injectors actually looked pretty good- 1 was completely blocked. I've been running quality gas and a bottle of Techron/STP every now and then. The unknown is that the fuel filter may have been original at 170k miles when I changed it a couple years ago.

I'd pass on the dealer service.

Depending on the year, you couldve just gotten 8 new injectors for around that same price maybe just a bit more.

Shouldve just swapped the one bad injector yourself imho.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the year, you couldve just gotten 8 new injectors for around that same price maybe just a bit more.

Shouldve just swapped the one bad injector yourself imho.

New injectors are twice the cost of cleaning/testing.

And to be honest, I didn't realize one wasn't flowing.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Hardly twice the cost afaik

chart75

Reaction score
Need to do this on my wife's 07. Least expensive options I can find are reman's for $17.75 each (ebay), or new $28.78 each on Amazon. Didn't realize how easy these are to replace until now (watched a youtube video).

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
$179, for mechanic to spray the throttle body and pour a bottle into the tank? You can do that yourself, for $20. They make a kit, that hooks up to fuel rail. The motor runs on cleaner for about twenty minutes. Modern engines, hardly see clogged fuel injectors. The spray pattern can get reduced. Running a good fuel treatment will usually help. Injectors can be re-built. There are kits available. The one I saw, had new filters. Apparently, each injector, has a filter.