Strange Rattling Noise Upon Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody have any input on what you think this might be? It has progressively been getting louder the past few days and the more I hit the gas the quicker it "rattles". It sounds like little pieces of metal moving around in a tin can. It does not do it when it starts, idles, or coasts... only when I accelerate.

It sounds like it is coming from the very back of the engine bay on the driver's side.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
What your describing sound like detonation.

I would check for loose plugs just to make sure your not about to launch one since this is common on these.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Posting a video with sound of course would help diagnose..

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already tried. The exhaust covers up the sound and you can't hear anything.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Catalytic converter coming apart on the inside maybe...

If it was a cat I feel like it would do it while sitting still? If it is, then that gives me another good excuse to go with a hi-flow cat kit.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Under load sounds like "pinging" or detonation.. A faulty egr could create this. When egr is working correctly it will raise the detonation threshold. The computer adds timing assuming a properly functioning egr.

But of course there are many possibilities and I cannot hear it so just guessing based on your description.