Strong gasoline smell from under rear driver side wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Underdog66

Reaction score
After driving my 2005 Ford Expy Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 Triton I can smell a strong gas odor from under the rear driver's side wheel well. Yes its near the gas filling area. I have checked under the hood, the exhaust, and the gas cap. The smell is definitely coming from UNDER the wheel well. There are no visible leaks or gas puddles under the truck. The odor dissipates after several hours.

I was wondering if there may be an emissions canister that needs replaced? Also a friend told me take it sounds like a 'no pressurized' system leak. He said there were several tubes/hoses that are used for various functions such as a return fuel line and a breather tube for refueling.

The truck has 253,000 miles on the body and around 86,000 on the engine. There are no OBDII codes either.

Thanks!

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for leaks after a drive does not need to leak / drip to the ground. Might just be leaking and sitting on top of something. Fuel pump changed maybe something that came loose. The wet stain should lead you to it.

OP
OP
Underdog66

Underdog66

Reaction score
I will do that. A friend at work suggested the same thing. He was the one who said it may be a non pressurized return line?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Underdog66

Underdog66

Reaction score
As I have been researching this issue, I noticed that inside the filler neck there is no 'spring loaded flapper' like on my other vehicles. Is this normal?Or could this be the issue?

Is there supposed to be a flapper here?0808171245_Burst01.jpg 0808171245a.jpg
0808171245.jpg

Also on the second picture, does the gas cap look like an issue?

Thanks

OP
OP
Underdog66

Underdog66

Reaction score
For those who may be interested, I found out the the gas smell and fluid leak were one in the same. The fuel filter connection was leaking. Its fixed now so no more gasoline fumes or stains.