Suggestions on cleaning chrome wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped the stock 20s for some 26s on my 04 but I had to sell it and get something with more room since it was only a std cab & I got a ton of kids lol. I still miss it. The rim is just sitting in front of mine in the pic so I could get an idea of how it was gonna look.
uploadfromtaptalk1361170653001.jpg

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

06KR

Reaction score
Turtle wax chrome cleaner + 1. I use it every time I was my f150

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up using #0000 steel wool to clean off the surface spots and polish it then used Eagle One Nevr Dull. I was hesitant at first with taking steel wool to them but it did wonders. It is a great way to clean chrome rims and I will probably do this periodically to make sure they don't ever look like that again. From even 5 feet away they looked great before, now they really shine. They almost looked photoshopped in the picture of the whole truck. Here's how they turned out.

Victor

Did you use any kind of compound with the steel wool or just water?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best thing for chrome wheels is soap...water...elbow grease at least weekly...be careful with the type of brush you use to scrub prob areas and i tend to use meguiars hot rims for when i dont wash them weekly...my truck sat for a month and the elements/rain/dirt got on the pretty good...hot rims got them back right...the reason u want to wash regular is so the dirt doesnt pile up...when it does it will get hard and pitting may start

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
best thing for chrome wheels is soap...water...elbow grease at least weekly...be careful with the type of brush you use to scrub prob areas and i tend to use meguiars hot rims for when i dont wash them weekly...my truck sat for a month and the elements/rain/dirt got on the pretty good...hot rims got them back right...the reason u want to wash regular is so the dirt doesnt pile up...when it does it will get hard and pitting may start

I was actually asking because of the exhaust tips on my Cobra need some work. And I'm taking the catback off soon to swap out the gears. Since there's a show coming up in a couple weeks I figured it would be a good time to get the tips shining again. Guess I should have quoted the guy that did his exhaust instead.

I keep up on my rims pretty good. I have to since everyone points them out.:chewie:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rex450se

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made sure the wheels were dry, and make sure you remove all the steel wool remnants with a microfiber towel to get it all or you will have rust spots after it gets wet. These wheels had been severely neglected, and this method was not quick as it took me about an hour per wheel. But the results were worth it.

Victor

Hartley

Reaction score
Well I use the Mothers Chrome wheel cleaner for cleaning the chromed rims.. because before that use the simple car wash and got so many spots on the rims. But Chrome wheel cleaner give me the best results. I think you should try that too.

Last edited: