Suggestions on nerf bars? types/brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cb540

Reaction score
I really do not like the stock side steps on my 03, they puddle water and collect mud pretty bad in the woods and snow and ice collect on them and being plastic they just turn into a slippery mess.

I'm looking to switch to nerf bars, I've seen some with flat steps, raised steps and slightly sunken steps I'm wondering which style is best for actually being used as a step in adverse conditions?

I'm also not looking to break the bank on them but I also don't want some that are going to bend the first time I step on them. I saw a guy post on here with a black '06 that had the bars I wanted but I cant seem to find the post anymore.

Suggestions? Help?

OP
OP
C

cb540

Reaction score

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd avoid mild and galvanized steel. These often have a 1-5 year warranty and the reason is they rust from the inside out. The plastic step pads on top leak water into the tube where the rot begins. Best bet long term is going to be stainless steel. Whatever you end up with, look for weep holes drilled along the bottom. If they don't have them, make some. I'd also avoid aluminum if you are out in the woods often.

If I were going to put steps on my Expedition, I'd personally go with Westin 6 inch wide stainless. Expect to spend about $500-600. Had them on a pickup truck a few years back and zero complaints. These, like many others, have removable plastic end caps. On a somewhat regular basis you should pop them off and rinse the tubes out. You'd be amazed how much crud gets into these.

Keep in mind these can transfer easily to another Expedition, so what fits your 2003 now can also fit upto a 2016 later.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here's a link to a bunch of different styles https://www.carid.com/running-boards.html

i can't suggest any though

i really would like to build my own set like these in the pic

View attachment 18877

I ordered a set of those for ~350 shipped from Amazon ($369, no tax, free shipping, 5% cashback)... mounting hardware presumably included, all other ads said this part number was a kit with mounting stuff to bolt right up

N-Fab lists them as '02-'08 (2nd gen and 2 years of 3rd gen???) everywhere, but I dont really believe them, since i got a ton of '07 donor stuff bolted onto my '09, and have yet to see a part not fit

Will update ~April 10-13 once they arrive

I expect 75% chance they fit ALL gen 2 & 3, and 25% chance the misprint is supposed to say 02-06

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Received em.

Mountable, but not a direct bolt-in fit.

Require sawing down edges of middle bracket and drilling rockers.

PS also kinda fugly in person. Welds are rather sloppy, no end caps welded or otherwise, and the bars weigh a metric shitton