Suspension Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanM

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new here, first post.

I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with about 160,000 miles. No air suspension. My father handed it down to me a while back. It is due for new shocks and possibly coils. First off, how can I determine if I need new coils? Is it simply whether or not the truck sags? I gave the coils a look and visually they seem alright. Front end may sit a hair low, but nothing extreme.

As far as shocks, I am thinking Blistein 4600 but if I have to do the coils as well I am leaning towards Monroe Quick Struts for economical purposes. Please share experiences with these and recommend some others!

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
front end sits a bit low cuz its expected to have a load and will level out under weight stress...idk how u can tell if u need new coils other than visual inspection for cracks...sagging is normally for new shocks but I guess it could work with coils too...just go ahead and replace both if u can

OP
OP
S

SeanM

Reaction score
I just took the tires off and looked some more. The coils are coated in a material which is starting to rust off. I know this will not affect the strength of the spring initially, but as the rust evades into the actual spring it will weaken it. I will replace everything. Now the question is Monroe Quick Struts or StrutMasters. Does anyone have any preferences?

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my mechanic tells me to get kyb struts when i need to replace mine

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my front springs broke at the end but the coating was completely intact.

I have Monroe quick struts and I recommend them. Ride is good, quality is good, and the exp will sit at stock height unlike some of the cheaper brands. I have a feeling you're not going to be happy with Bilsteins in the NYC area.

OP
OP
S

SeanM

Reaction score
Thanks 2004XLT

I ordered the Monroe's last night. I understand what you mean, lots of bad roads! I live in CT so I am frequently blasting around winding hilly roads... but I still have an expedition, not a BMW. Future plans are for a 240Z so I will save the German products for then.

I will let everyone know how the install and ride is when I get them.

OP
OP
S

SeanM

Reaction score
For anyone interested

The install was a alright. Tie rods had to be torched to undo. Once I got them off it was not too bad. I was able to do rears without taking tie rods off, just had to muscle new parts in. Would have been much nicer if it wasn't 20 degrees out.

Ride is amazing. Being an engineering nerd I did a decibel test. Using an iPhone app I measured the sound before and after going 20 and 30 mph on the same road with the same weight in the car. About a 10 decibel difference. Every 10 decibels is double the "volume" so you could say the cabin is half as loud as it was before. I did also fix some squeaks and took my toolbox out which may have made a lot of noise, but regardless the ride is definitely improved.

I do recommend monroe. It has only been a week or so but no issues, and my mechanic and go to car buddy both said they are not bad. If you tow a lot you will want stiffer springs in the rear, but I am never towing much so the monroes will be fine.

Sean

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm happy with the Monroe struts, 10k miles after install they ride even smoother than they did when they were new, I guess they needed a break in period. Much better than the Unity air suspension conversion struts I had before. Good to hear they're treating you good.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone interested

The install was a alright. Tie rods had to be torched to undo. Once I got them off it was not too bad. I was able to do rears without taking tie rods off, just had to muscle new parts in. Would have been much nicer if it wasn't 20 degrees out.

Ride is amazing. Being an engineering nerd I did a decibel test. Using an iPhone app I measured the sound before and after going 20 and 30 mph on the same road with the same weight in the car. About a 10 decibel difference. Every 10 decibels is double the "volume" so you could say the cabin is half as loud as it was before. I did also fix some squeaks and took my toolbox out which may have made a lot of noise, but regardless the ride is definitely improved.

I do recommend monroe. It has only been a week or so but no issues, and my mechanic and go to car buddy both said they are not bad. If you tow a lot you will want stiffer springs in the rear, but I am never towing much so the monroes will be fine.

Sean
Now that you replaced this did you get an alignment done??

OP
OP
S

SeanM

Reaction score
Yea, got alignment. You honestly have to. The new suspension will give it a very slight lift which will throw off the steering geometry.