Swaping a 4.6l to 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mftlln

Reaction score
Just bought an expedition for my wife has a bad motor has the 4.6 aluminum block my question is can I swap the 4.6 for a 5.4 and what would I need to complete the swap.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

What you would need depends on your skills, tools, time and money. From a question of this sort I'll ask how many engine swaps have you performed in the past and how extensive are your tools. Are you working inside or out in the snow?
Those that have a bag full of Stanley tools will have a rude awaking with this type of swap.
Plus being up there in the salt you could use the "blue flame wrench".

OP
OP
M

Mftlln

Reaction score
Done this for years, not my first rodeo just the 4.6l aluminum block are so $$ and I have a 5.4 out of an 03 expedition that was wrecked. Dont have the space for both of them so before i haul the 03 to the junk yard need to know what to have/keep, like are harnesses the same, are the couputers the same.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on the difference in years between vehicles. To make it an "easier" swap I would grab the engine & trans harnesses, pcm and instrument cluster, radiator, engine mounts, transmission & mount, driveshaft. Even check the rear end, might be lucky and have a lsd.

Before jumping in, it wouldn't hurt to compare the wiring for the 3 bulkhead connectors between the 2 engines. If you are lucky it would be the same and not require repinning any of them.

Autumnstang97

Reaction score
If you can, do the harness comparison. Most sensors are in the same places between the 4.6 and 5.4.
My experience is doing a 5.4 into a Mustang that originally had a 4.6. Everything went over. It dropped in and bolted just fine.

You may want to transfer over also the stock air box and MAF and sensor. I am NOT certain but the injectors might be different between the two. They both will have the same plug it's just I think the 5.4 has 30lb and the 4.6 has 19lb. Not certain, but if they do then the MAF meter is needed.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK