SWB or LWB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After looking through the forum, (old posts) and trying to do the money math i think its also worthwhile to get owners thoughts. What are peoples experiences with the two different wheelbases? What are the pros and cons of the two? Is their anyone who would want to reverse their decision? Sorry if this post seems redundant.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went from an 07 SWB to a 15 EL.
The SWB was a little more maneuverable. It was nice in parking lots and tight campground sites. If you needed the third row there was very little luggage/cargo space.
The LWB is more stable towing our 30' TT. You can use all 3 rows and carry the luggage for the people in them. It's a little tighter in the parking lots and campsites. Nothing I can't get around.
Bottom line-I'm much happier with the EL. I would rather be looking at the extra room than looking for it when i need it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need an 8-seat people carrier WITH luggage space, EL and only EL all the way

SWB is for 8 people OR luggage

2017-06-17 14.47.43.jpg

There is absolutely NO way to take 8 seats filled with people and any meaningful amount of luggage per person in the SWB... maybe kids' bookbags, tops

Any more than that, and you're back to "seats 5 and a LOT of luggage" as your other main option.

Now there are some "cheats" with SWB, like ditching the middle midrow seat, and it's quite a bit easier if you have a column shifter and no console like in mine....7 people with SOME stuff becomes possible.

but when I've needed to drive people to/from an airport, any more than 2 people -- and luggage becomes a game of tetris

I got mine set up with an aisle all the way from the radio in the front dash to the third row, and I've had a few times when I've driven it with 3-4 suitcases wedged between the seats going all the way from under my elbow to the very the back

Trunk with the 3rd row up is only good for 3 small or 2 largeish suitcases, and a small dufflebag OR a small minimal bag of tools and car necessities --- that's it.... I've even seen oversize suitcases that can't fit in there at all, it's that narrow.