Synch 3 Wifi update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XMan

Reaction score
How often does Synch 3 search for updates when connected to wifi? I still have version 1.0 in my Synch 3 I connected it to my home wifi and set it for automatic updates a couple days ago but it has not yet updated and I have found no way to force it to search for updates. I suppose I could do it via the download and usb but if it will do it on it's own I'd prefer that.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi XMan, Check out this thread (http://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/270861/) and you might want to talk to @LokiWolf for more help. I was able to upgrade from 2.0 with his update to 2.2. I am not sure which version of Sync 3 that you have but if it is what I think it is you also need to replace the USB ports in the center column to use CarPlay with Apple. I am not sure about Android.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob it sounds like he already knows how to do that. It's not showing an update and he will have to go to that link I gave him and download the update and do it manually.

@XMan - you can go to FordOwner.com and enter your VIN if you haven't already and it should tell you if Ford has an automatic update for you.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the Wi-Fi setup screen, the bottom button forces an update check, and the last update check is displayed.

I just checked mine, and its 2.0. So I went to the owner link you provided and checked there. It also said I was up to date with 2.0. What is this 2.2 you guys are referring to?

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
Yep I've done all the above except visit the link Andy provided which I will do. I think Ford says version 2.3 is available. It shows my Expedition as having version 1.0 an last update being April 2016 which is probably the last dealer up date when new.
It also said at the Ford Owner web site that it may have updated via wifi in the last week and it may not yet show that on the web site. So is that a hint that the Synch looks for updates on a weekly basis or it takes a week to post to the web site?
I've actually been leaving the Expedition at home and using the car so it stays connected to wifi and hopefully updates itself.
Thanks for the responses all!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what Ford says the latest version available for my vehicle is:
Sync version.jpg

I love the part that says "The current SYNC 3 software version is ." Its blank.

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
On the Wi-Fi setup screen, the bottom button forces an update check, and the last update check is displayed.

I just checked mine, and its 2.0. So I went to the owner link you provided and checked there. It also said I was up to date with 2.0. What is this 2.2 you guys are referring to?
I didn't see anything that forces the update when I set my wifi up. Nor when you enable the automatic update button does it do a search. Or I should say it didn't say search in progress or no updates available however I expected it to when I enabled it. I thought I missed something so I went through all the steps again several times but it never indicated that it was searching or updating.

OP
OP
X

XMan

Reaction score
Well I got my answer. I went on Synch chat with a rep. Here's a copy of the chat session.

How often does Synch 3 search for updates when connected to wifi?
Doyonne says:
I will be glad to look into this for you! To begin, may I have your VIN?
Keith says:
sorry don't have my vin handy.
Doyonne says:
Ok, SYNC 3 Wi-Fi updates are not immediate. The update takes 30 days to complete via Wi-Fi. Not, sure why that information is not listed on the Owner.ford.com website. You will need to wait a complete 30 days for the download to finish, doing the update via Wi-Fi. Is there anything else that I can help you with at this time