The dreaded throttle position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow I have never even heard of Fastenal before. There are several in my area!

Dewayne

Reaction score
They say ignorance is bliss, before you messed with your tps sensor were you concerned about the heat . If the bad sensor was not melted or deformed I'm sure the heat is nothing unusual.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, not deformed. Still a little too hot to be placed there though. Would replace every year just to be safe. Need to take voltage readings while engine is worked up nice and hot and with the throttle moving, they probably start to go out of spec within a year after new, its just a slow decline. But you always want the TPS to be working 100%, and not 90% or 80%. Your transmission uses it to determine how much pressure to give.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even after replacing the throttle body gasket at the time I did the sensor, I can still feel the throttle body become burning hot to the touch.

I'm thinking of also placing a thin gasket (same thickness as the TB gasket) directly under the sensor itself. This should alleviate much of the heat going to the sensor. And I don't think having a gasket just a few mm thick placed under the sensor will affect anything.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright ladies,
I never bothered to take photos of anything because everyting was new to me and was excited to put the truck back together once I was finished.

But here is a photo of the job.
Keep in mind this is my very first work ever done to my own vehicle!

Replacing the Throttle Position Sensor is absolutely mandatory. If you haven't done so yet, do it now.
You may think your vehicle is working properly, but it's not. It will slowly adapt to the failing TPS and you will not notice an issue until it becomes much worse. Typically the Throttle Position Sensor will still function even at 40-50% effectiveness, which is exactly what you don't want! And they degrade quickly. They reach this un-optimal state very quickly, (within a couple of years, depending on how you drive, specifically on how hot your engine gets)
Your transmission relies on this cheap component to function properly, and it's also suspected this component can contribute to the demise of your automatic transmission.

Anyway, these screws are welded on. It's crazy. They are really glued in there.
I had to cut out a slot within the screw using a rotary tool and cut-off-wheel.
The cut is perfectly centered, you can use the original phillips head as a guide.

I had a giant 18inch flat head screwdriver stuck in there, with the entire throttle body removed.
Even with the giant screwdriver, and perfect leverage, it absolutely took all my strength to remove it. Crazy! The giant flat head screwdriver fit absolutely perfect, it wasn't loose or anything.
This damn screw is wayyyyy too tight, I would never expect anything to be mounted this way!

sensor.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll come back with the laser temp reading on the throttle body one of these days...
Along with signal readings of the Throttle Position Sensor during summer time while the vehicle is in motion and damn hot, once the TPS gets a little older.
I expect it to lose efficiency when the engine gets hot. Heat also plays a direct role in electrical resistance.