The new 2014 Ford Expedition!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it looks to boxy as well. I like the curves my 2011 has. I just hope they give all the options that are out these days like the Fusion for example.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That truck does nothing for me.

Still like the look of the Gen 1's the best, especially after they've been modded for off road.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wish they would put the same chassis that the F-150 has under the new expy's. My dad's truck (2004) is like driving a mini-van. Its nice as a people hauler, but if we need real work done, we use mine.

If it had a trucky chassis again, even just as an option (put it only on the EL's or something) I would be totally happy. But its all about the customer base.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedition still uses the frame and chassis components from the F-150. The redesigned Expedition (U222) that was introduced in 2002 for the 2003 model year continued to use the F-150’s frame, along with strengthening through new hydroforming and design tweaks. The only major change was the swapping of the live rear axle for a independent rear axle.

The updated Expeditions (U324 and U354 long wheelbase) introduced in 2006 for the 2007 model year swapped out the old F-150 platform for the all-new (at that time) F-150 "P2" frame, which was designated the "T1" frame. The T1 frame gave a 10 percent increase in torsional rigidity.

Rest assured, Expedition is still a truck (F-150) at heart.

The next-generation 2015 Expedition will continue this tradition by switching over to the next-generation 2015 F-150 (P552) platform.

Its styling will follow the next F-150 which will follow the Ford Atlas Concept. Very similar to this Ford rendering:
078b31247055181.png

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bad, chassis was incorrect. I knew that they were still body-on-frame like the F-150, but there is just a trucky feeling to a straight axle. That's what I miss between the gens. Plus then I don't have to change rear ball joints either...! Still, I would not mind that 302 under the hood...

At the family lake place, there is a neighbor who is really into Dodge Ram-Chargers, he has two in his driveway and another in storage. 1st gen Expy's will always be my "Ram-Charger" if you will. I just wish I was old enough to have seen them new haha.

Last edited:

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The live rear axle will always be a favorite among traditionalists, which is fine, nothing wrong with that at all. They are simple to maintain and generally easy to work on.

The independent rear suspension (IRS) did offer several advantages over the live axle though.

One was packaging (vehicle design) allowing the third-row seats to fold flat "disappearing" into the load floor. A priceless advantage in itself – no more having to remove the third-row of seats for additional space. Some of the Expedition’s competitors (I shall not name names) still can’t do this party trick.

Second was vehicle stability and handling. The IRS allows for more precise wheel control and suspension tuning.

The 2003 Expedition (U222) was the first in its class to feature a IRS, which is something to be proud of. Very advanced and highly controversial at the time. The Nissan Armada and Toyota Sequoia have since copied it. Imitation, they say, is the sincerest form of flattery.

U222’s IRS with coil springs allowed for a remarkable 9.4 inches of long suspension travel, (note opting for air springs reduced that number) and obstacle clearance improved by 2 inches (50 mm) under the axle differential.

The control arms, shafts, bushings, etc of the IRS were beefed-up to handle higher trailer loads, as the tow rating for U222 increased by 800 lbs over the first-generation Expedition (UN93).

The IRS was re-designed for the 2007 Expedition (U324 and U354), getting more heavy-duty parts, a five-link arrangement, and new lower control arms.

The next-generation 2015 Expedition will stay with a IRS system. The 5.0 liter 32-valve DOHC Ti-VCT Coyote V-8 is confirmed (so the Expedition is getting it) along with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

rvm1

Reaction score
It's just a rendering.

Looks like a Toyota Landcruiser with an F150 grille.

For a true rendering, just photoshop an integrated cap onto a new F-150.

Landcruiser! Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the rendering. I hope they go the Atlas route with the 5.0

Sent from my GT-I9505