The True Cold Air Intake??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
I have a great article with lots of data from a magazine trying to improve fuel economy on a 1 ton dually truck. They found that wrapping the intake with DEI Cool Tape reduced the air intake temps at idle and low speed to near ambient temperature. Giving a few % more power. Same thing you did. Nice work. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010408

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I checked temps on my Lincoln 4.6l 32V DOHC. 5 minutes after driving on a 76 degree day. I used a craftsman infrared thermometer. The tube, just prior to engine was 106 deg. The air box with filter, was 94 deg. Top of valve cover 149 and intake 140 deg. If outside temp goes up to 113, that could put you at or around the 140 on the air tube. I hear from my cousin in Phoenix, the heat is hard on tires.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 21152
And this is how it turned out.

Bought this header wrap a while ago and finally got around to doing this. Been wanting to do this for a while because summers suck here in AZ. I had a previously started a thread that involved the whole " Air Intake Temp too high which retards the timing causing major power loss ". So I bought this thinking if it keeps header heat from getting into the engine bay, it should keep engine bay heat out if my Cold Air Intake. So far it does seem to help, I don't get near the heat soak I use to get without the wrap. I can sit at a light longer than before and don't get the dreaded retarded timing issue too bad, if I do, the system seems to adjust guicker and I get my power back faster. Maybe it's the whole placebo affect, but I don't think so. Everyone one wants an aftermarket CAI, but with those I can still see heat soak getting to the Air Intake Sensor. At any rate, it was fun to creat this and I have something a little different that other Expy's out there.

I like it. I'm gonna try it myself. I used to live in Surprise and wish I would've thought of this when I lived there. I must have been loosing my Redneckery in the heat down there. I'm doing it this weekend for sure. I'll post a pic.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like it. I'm gonna try it myself. I used to live in Surprise and wish I would've thought of this when I lived there. I must have been loosing my Redneckery in the heat down there. I'm doing it this weekend for sure. I'll post a pic.

Awesome, please post pics when your done. I definitely think it has helped and was not a waste of time. Thanks for posting!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a great article with lots of data from a magazine trying to improve fuel economy on a 1 ton dually truck. They found that wrapping the intake with DEI Cool Tape reduced the air intake temps at idle and low speed to near ambient temperature. Giving a few % more power. Same thing you did. Nice work. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010408

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Except if you cool the air, it requires more fuel. Hypermilers will actually put their AIT sensor someplace hot to lean out the mixture.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...I went a different route. I applied the redneckery formula of "you can't shove a watermelon up a bullfrogs ass...unless...you make the bullfrogs ass bigger than the watermelon"...so...VOILA!!!( that's frenchy for SHAZAM!!! ) I must have added something like 1/100ths of a horsepower to it, and the throttle response is great!

image (7).jpg

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Well...I went a different route. I applied the redneckery formula of "you can't shove a watermelon up a bullfrogs ass...unless...you make the bullfrogs ass bigger than the watermelon"...so...VOILA!!!( that's frenchy for SHAZAM!!! ) I must have added something like 1/100ths of a horsepower to it, and the throttle response is great!

View attachment 21275
I did similar, but covered opening with some black window screen and sealant. My opening was about half and I installed a K&N 0945 first, then a Fram AIRHOG 8039. Definitely louder, wide open, a little better throttle response, mileage maybe up, a bit and no extra power.

Last edited:

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did similar, but covered opening with some black window screen and sealant. My opening was about half and I installed a K&N 0945 first, then a Fram AIRHOG 8039. Definitely louder, wide open, a little better throttle response, mileage maybe up, a bit and no extra power.

I run 37" tires so mileage is what it is. Because I run such a large tire it is easy to feel any increase and/or decrease in power, and I did feel an increase. I don't know how long I will run with this set up. I only wanted to see how the truck would react, and I like it. The possible problem though is going to be off-roading in a wet environment, but it has atleast given me an idea of how much the throttle body was starving for air. I'm happy so far. Placebo effect?...Maybe.....do I give a shit?...not really. Kinda like when you go home at 2 with a 10 and wake up at 10 with a 2....either way, you still got some!
:D

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 21275

I'm suprised you don't suffer from loss of power sucking soo much hot air from the engine bay. Do you only drive yours in the winter? I know NM gets prety darn hot in the summer

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm suprised you don't suffer from loss of power sucking soo much hot air from the engine bay. Do you only drive yours in the winter? I know NM gets prety darn hot in the summer

It's my daily driver. So far so good, but we're in the 80's right now....so we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee