The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone try this out yet? I messed with mine for a few minutes but so far haven’t decided if it’s for me or not.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you use Waze through apple car play right on your dashboard display?

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you use Waze through apple car play right on your dashboard display?
You don’t even use CarPlay, it’s in the mobile apps. Your iPhone must be plugged in. Sorry for the vague description, I am not totally familiar with the expy set up when it comes to sync. But yes, it comes up on the screen and takes the place of the sync navigation.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t even use CarPlay, it’s in the mobile apps. Your iPhone must be plugged in. Sorry for the vague description, I am not totally familiar with the expy set up when it comes to sync. But yes, it comes up on the screen and takes the place of the sync navigation.

That’s so cool that you can get Waze up on your main display.

Ok so if you’re question is Waze vs native navigation (or even compared to google or Apple maps), I personally prefer Waze for long distance and highway traveling. The main reason is because of the crowd sourcing function, you get alerts when there are police/radar traps. In many ways it’s better than having a radar detector as you get advance warning.

Also, for the same reasons as above, the traffic information is better too. There is a delay between when Waze has traffic information and when Google Maps (owner of Waze) gets it.

Just my thoughts. I’m curious what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s so cool that you can get Waze up on your main display.

Ok so if you’re question is Waze vs native navigation (or even compared to google or Apple maps), I personally prefer Waze for long distance and highway traveling. The main reason is because of the crowd sourcing function, you get alerts when there are police/radar traps. In many ways it’s better than having a radar detector as you get advance warning.

Also, for the same reasons as above, the traffic information is better too. There is a delay between when Waze has traffic information and when Google Maps (owner of Waze) gets it.

Just my thoughts. I’m curious what others think.

Oh, I completely agree on Waze vs other nav options. My question is how do you like the integration of Waze on sync... I should have been more clear. I have only spent a few minutes with it but Waze must be running and if you switch apps it will only show ‘Waze running in background’ message on the main screen. I need to spend more time with it but don’t have the chance today so I was hoping anyone on here may have some initial thoughts on it.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I completely agree on Waze vs other nav options. My question is how do you like the integration of Waze on sync... I should have been more clear. I have only spent a few minutes with it but Waze must be running and if you switch apps it will only show ‘Waze running in background’ message on the main screen. I need to spend more time with it but don’t have the chance today so I was hoping anyone on here may have some initial thoughts on it.

Got it! I’m going to watch this thread and am curious too.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oops, never mind. I forgot to enable background app refresh. Working now. Oh this is lovey! A little choppy but glad I don’t have to use a silly phone holder just to use Waze. Will try it on my next drive.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t love that my phone has to stay “on” the whole time, and it’s a little glitchy...but I like it!!!

I assume the glitchiness will work itself out over future updates.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t love that my phone has to stay “on” the whole time, and it’s a little glitchy...but I like it!!!

I assume the glitchiness will work itself out over future updates.
I’m not digging the whole phone stays on and lock out thing at all. I get it, they did that for safety but omg it’s enough for me not to use it. Especially since I use my phone for media more often than anything else.