The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElliottM

Reaction score
Are you ever on WiFi?? That’s a lot of data assuming it’s only one device and no video streaming.
Yes, on Wi-Fi at home, at SBUX, etc. I use my Expy for Uber & Lyft, as well as private car services, plus I own a restaurant meal delivery service, so I use LOTS of data. It's for two lines, both mine, but it amazes me how much data these apps use.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Worked great for me on a recent 300 mile trip. Crashed once, but I just launched it again on my iPhone. The frame rate is a little choppy, but so far no complaints.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why are you guys NOT on unlimited data? crazy. most carriers it is cheaper to move everything to unlimited. we have 4 phones and 4 tablets, all unlimited. i believe after all was said and done, we pay $30-$50 less than when we had 25GB for all to share.

that being said, on unlimited plan, the tablets arent truly unlimited. they cap at 15GB ea. phones are truly unlimited.

that being said, we max our tablets out frequently and i use at least 15GB per month on my phone for business. only video streaming i use it for is the occasional videos friends send, etc. occasional trek through facebook videos on a solo lunch break etc.

all of that being said, how the heck do you get waze to show up on the sync3? sync is updated to v3. carplay turned off. the only apps that show up are ford/alexa, pandora, and one other ford app. hit button that says scan for apps and that is all it finds. is there any setting in the app itself? im embarrassed to ask as i am in the technology business! but i will say, i only tried briefly and didnt research any instructions.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why are you guys NOT on unlimited data? crazy. most carriers it is cheaper to move everything to unlimited. we have 4 phones and 4 tablets, all unlimited. i believe after all was said and done, we pay $30-$50 less than when we had 25GB for all to share.

that being said, on unlimited plan, the tablets arent truly unlimited. they cap at 15GB ea. phones are truly unlimited.

that being said, we max our tablets out frequently and i use at least 15GB per month on my phone for business. only video streaming i use it for is the occasional videos friends send, etc. occasional trek through facebook videos on a solo lunch break etc.

all of that being said, how the heck do you get waze to show up on the sync3? sync is updated to v3. carplay turned off. the only apps that show up are ford/alexa, pandora, and one other ford app. hit button that says scan for apps and that is all it finds. is there any setting in the app itself? im embarrassed to ask as i am in the technology business! but i will say, i only tried briefly and didnt research any instructions.
Make sure that Waze is updated and if you are using an iPhone make sure it is also plugged in. It should show up on the mobile apps section. The first time I tried mine it did t work either so I power cycled my phone and it worked the next time. I had a cable that has connection issues as well... it would charge fine but the apps wouldn’t load on sync so I switched cables and haven’t had that issue anymore either.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure that Waze is updated and if you are using an iPhone make sure it is also plugged in. It should show up on the mobile apps section. The first time I tried mine it did t work either so I power cycled my phone and it worked the next time. I had a cable that has connection issues as well... it would charge fine but the apps wouldn’t load on sync so I switched cables and haven’t had that issue anymore either.
gonna try now!

David Ieroncig

Reaction score
I am a regular Waze user and have used it extensively in the Expedition on Android auto.... Until a few days ago...

Odd thing happening. GPS location of my position not being picked up when Waze is running while plugged to the truck. If I unplug the phone, Waze is running fine.
Google maps locating correctly when plugged though.

Anyone having similar issues?

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Restarted & turned off power save mode on Samsung S8.
All good now.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tired Waze on my XLT. It took a long time to connect initially - I restarted the process a few times because it just sat there "Connecting..." for minutes! Eventually it is to the point it will connect reliably. Works great once it's running.
As an aside, I had to turn off CarPlay to get it running (I'm using an iPhone). So is there any way to listen to podcasts while using Waze? I suspect not.
I think I'll switch to using the Sync3 built-in Nav as it's pretty good. Then I can listen to podcasts at the same time.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tired Waze on my XLT. It took a long time to connect initially - I restarted the process a few times because it just sat there "Connecting..." for minutes! Eventually it is to the point it will connect reliably. Works great once it's running.
As an aside, I had to turn off CarPlay to get it running (I'm using an iPhone). So is there any way to listen to podcasts while using Waze? I suspect not.
I think I'll switch to using the Sync3 built-in Nav as it's pretty good. Then I can listen to podcasts at the same time.

You do have to turn off CarPlay to use Waze. You can still listen to podcasts over Bluetooth or through the usb, you just have to run them on your phone not through the center-stack screen (like in the “olden days” before CarPlay). Using waze is really clunky (unfortunately) and that’s why I went back to using CarPlay and Apple Maps.

I’m curious though, aren’t you going to have the same problem if you use the sync 3 nav because you’ll also have to turn CarPlay off to do that? ...if CarPlay is on, Apple Maps is your only nav choice. Right? If not and there’s a way to run CarPlay and use the sync nav, PLEASE let me know as I’m actually a really big fan of the sync nav and would like to be able to use both.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you're correct - when I started up Waze, it asked me what the default Nav should be (built-in Nav or Waze) and that made me think I could select built-in Nav or Apple Maps. But of course I tried it and it doesn't work that way. I'll try the Waze/Podcast combo next to see if I mind it. Note that for Waze to connect on an iPhone, it must be connected via USB (bluetooth apparently only works for Android?) - this from the Owner's Manual.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i love car play! i would use it all of the time IF it didnt force me to use the WORST map app in the world, apple maps. i just cant believe it sucks so bad!!!!!!!!!!! sync nav is pretty legit!