Theft Light flashes - no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is so weird. My 97 did the same thing yesterday. I started it, noticed the "theft" light flashing, then 2 seconds later the Expedition dies. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, same thing. Repeat, started and has been every since. I did nothing different. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I've had my 2000 Expedition for over 140,000 miles and she has never done that. Both have aftermarket alarm systems with remote start if that makes a difference. Also, no rain for days.

OP
OP
A

Aplieesi

Reaction score
has it been raining or even maybe a high dew point ? Mine's a 99, had a hard rain, got lucky because I drove to walmart, shopped, came home. Car didn't start again for a couple of days - I didn't know anything about the GEM / windshield problem and thought the security system kicked in for some reason because the security light was flashing like crazy.
If by chance u don't know anything about the GEM issue there's a ton of info on it. If all else seems fine, I wouldn't rule that out
For sure, I can't rule this out. The original GEM was replaced with a junk yard model that I believe has had water damage. When I got it from ebay, I noticed it had rust on the outer case where the two big connectors plug in... I can't say temp change has caused this issue as it happened in the summer time and now where we have temps around 60's to 30's.
What I need is a good GEM module as I due have a pretty good parasitic draw and I'd bet the GEM is also contributing to that issue.