Thinking about buying a 2017 Expedition XLT, Any Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2017 will be fine, for me I would get an Expedition over 2 Hondas, maybe just me though. I have an XLT (granted 06 so not anywhere near 17) but still, it is not fancy no but gets the job done. If you can get a left over 16 model for even less, that is an option to consider too. Either way I don't think an Expedition will steer you wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new '17 Expy limited back in Nov and have just over 16,000 miles now without a single hiccup! Amazing power, mileage since new is now up to 17.7 and I drive roughly 50 miles each way to work outside DC so you can imagine the roads I drive.

As the year goes on, you should be able to negotiate better and better pricing.

BTW----I was shopping for a fairly stripped down model...ended up with a fantastic truck so I'm not complaining one bit!

IMHO-as an aside, only those with a new truck should really be taken into account...since they have put their money out and their responses will tend to be more accurate then someone responding with their emotions instead of actual experience.

jeff

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2017 last week. I really wanted to wait to see the '18 specs and prices, but the dealer was offering a great discount and I hated my trade in. I'm thrilled with it so far. I've always bought vehicles for my needs and wants, not the next guy's. I buy my vehicle and trade it in when done. I won't pay the original price and maintain the vehicle for the next guy. In other words, I don't care about resale. I bought for myself and my family to use.

The 3rd generation body style has been around for ~10 years. It has a large demand and there are plenty of folks who would be happy to upgrade to the proven history of the updated, 3rd generation versus the early years of the 3rd gen. Just because there's a brand new platform coming out doesn't mean the 3rd gen will garbage. Relax, shop for what you like - be it minivan or Expy - and buy it for your family's needs.

Happy hunting and be happy with your selection.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember your next car is your new baby. It's always fun to figure out how things work on the new one. It was that way the first day or two that I got my 2000 expy from my neighbor. It's like a kid with a new toy at Christmas or birthday. I think from time to time to find another model from my past, but unless it's an investment not a trip through time better to keep moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. My wife and I are considering buying a new 2017 Ford Expedition XLT in Ingot Silver with black interior. The vehicle is listed as GVWR: 7,260 lbs Payload Package.

We are considering this against a 2017 Honda Odyssey (hate the new pilot) while the odyssey would get better fuel economy and haul the same amount of people, I'd be able to tow/haul things when needed in the forth coming years and consider the expedition to be a safer family vehicle due the increased weight and overall heft/bulk of the vehicle.

I just picked this one up earlier this month. Perfectly happy with it. Its an XLT with the HD Towing package. IMG_0205[1].JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked this one up earlier this month. Perfectly happy with it. Its an XLT with the HD Towing package. View attachment 20813
Nice Truck. I picked up my 17 Limited EL in February. I have over 2,800 miles on it with one long trip to PA 520 miles one way. I averaged 18.3 MPG on the way in and 17.6 for the entire trip of about 1400 miles with 1000 + highway miles and the rest combo driving. I couldn't be happier.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Adieu on this one. Unless you really want a new car, I would spend the money on a used car, which is a lot more valuable for your money. The Expedition tends to be rather reliable,(They're number three on a list of cars kept the longest, link on the bottom) and if you intend on keeping the truck for a while, you should invest in a used, but much more comfortable and better-equipped expedition. Hell, you could probably pick up a 2 year old Limited for about the same or less than the MSRP of a brand new one. With less than 30k miles! (I found an EL near me, I'll link it below as well.) As I mentioned, if you plan on keeping it for the long run, with your kids in tow, it would be better that you buy a gently used one with more comfort for the same price.

I should also mention that as a member of a family with a large history of Expeditions, they have been absolutely wonderful.

Reliability link:
http://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-cars-that-people-keep-the-longest-1795160276
http://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-cars-that-are-most-likely-to-go-over-200-1793819071
Expedition I found:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...y=d333&zip=59858#listing=178331075_isFeatured