Thinking about replacing autoride system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado Joe

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Expy Limited that is having problems with the autoride suspension system. I've had it in the dealership to diagnose and correct the problem but they aren't able to (or don't want to) find the problem and fix it. I have one side that raises up and will not lower until the temps warm up, this only happens at temps lower than 35 degrees and here in Colorado that's most of the next 6 months. I also have the rear left corner that is stubborn and does it as soon as it get cold.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? they've replaced the two front ride height sensors and have checked the back two which according to them is fine. They are sure it doesn't have leaks since it holds air when it's warm and all works fine. I was told by the dealership that it could run up to $6,000.00 to chase and find the problem. I really like the Autoride system when it's working. it's smooth as glass and the load capacity is great. I would really like to keep the system as is but need to find a reputable shop here in Denver Colorado that can find and fix the problem without paying a kings ransom.

I have a couple of questions, does anyone have a reasonably sure answer as to what this might be? if not does anyone have the name of a shop that can take care of the problem?

The second question is, if I do a conversion as a last resort is there one kit that is better than the others keeping in mind ride comfort, good road characteristics (not top heavy feeling or leaning into turns) and still keeping the towing weight at manufacturer specs? This has just made me want to go out and get rid of the vehicle if I'm just going to continue having suspension issues. I really love the car when it's working correctly but winter is here and the problems just continue. HELP PLEASE!!!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heat makes materials expand and makes them pliable, cold makes stuff shrink and makes it stiff... and different materials at different rates at that

So a certain point somewhere in the part that lets it go down (lets air out right?) doesnt allow air through in low temperatures, probably at some sort of joint or valve where two different materials (rubber/plastic/metal/different metal) come in contact

...its not a leak its a "stick"

Alternatively, w/ below-freezing temperatures, you might have a valve or something physically freeze over with water, maybe on one side only due to where & how you usually park your vehicle (smthn dripping on it when warm and then freezing, or a vent or something from a building directing steam/vapor at your car when its cold)

OP
OP
C

Colorado Joe

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I usually park in my driveway where there wouldn't be any moisture for a freeze thaw cycle. looking at your response I suspect that it might be the compressor and dryer, like you suggested there may be a valve sticking, a circuit affected by the cold or one of the ports on the dryer that may be constricted and doesn't vent in cold temps. I may try to replace the unit with an aftermarket one and see if that has any change before I replace the system. Thanks again for your response on this.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
The rear air suspension in my '99 EB had just gone out when I bought it in September 2016. I swapped over to conventional suspension with a Unity "Airditcher" kit.

Pulled a max-loaded 5x8 U-Haul 2300 miles from Oregon to Wisconsin with my max-loaded Expy last fall; no issues then, no issues now.

Not a recommendation - just a "for-what-it's-worth".

Good Luck.