Thinking of buying a 2003 Eddie Bauer, anything I should watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aight, so I used to hang out on the explorer forum, because I currently have a 1998 explorer sport. However, I'm super fat, its exhaust isn't even attached anymore, and the timing chain is barely holding on.

So, I wanna get something new. There's a 2003 Eddie bauer explorer for $6450.00 right now near me. It's currently $600 off as a promotion! And if I turn in my loud trash heap, I can get another $600 off. I currently have $2000 saved up, and my family was going to loan me the rest (I'm 20 and I'm talking to what I hope becomes my second job, so I plan to pay that all back)

Now, in 2016, I found my 1998 explorer sport for sale, I overpaid for it, got slammed by the inspection and registry, and not only that, the engine needs $3,000 in repairs because of how (supposedly) labor intensive the repairs are on it. Add in that my 500 pound self doesn't exactly fit in it very well... I might be working on my weight but I'm also too damn tall for it.

Obviously, I wanna avoid this with the expedition. is there anything I need to watch out for? The mirror adjustment joystick, the seat adjustment switch, the rear wiper, (washer fluid works though) and one other minor thing are all broken, but everything else is in amazing condition, and the AC system is glorious compared to the broken one on mine (AC only works on Max, every other mode is heat, dumb explorers and their blend doors) however the salesman says he's gonna get them all checked on.

Searching up problems online brings up a few reports on the engine throwing its spark plugs out, is that as common or expensive to fix as my own car's timing chain? Also, what should I be looking for when I check it out? I'm going out tomorrow for another look, and I think I'll be test driving it...

I dunno, I guess I'm just asking for advice and so on! :)

Edit: If I remember right, it's got 11X,*** miles and it has the "Triton V8 4.5L" engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the mileage, what emgine, etc?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

If I remember right, it's got 11X,*** miles and it has the "Triton V8 4.5L" engine, I'll have to check when we go tomorrow to make sure though, I plan to take a bunch of pictures of it

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just took a look at it again today! The battery is dead for some reason, so they're going to take it to a shop, check on the battery, and then check on everything else.... I'm wondering if it's my fault lol I might have left one of the cabin lights on

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
If it has never had the spark plugs changed assume that it needs them, and if I can't do it yourself call a shop for a quote. Or search here. They break and require special tools to replace. I believe it's $500 to $1000 for that job.

Does it have air suspension? If so it probably has leaks and you either need to replace the air springs or convert to standard springs.

Test everything, all those little electrical parts add up quickly. Transmission should be pretty reliable in 2003.

We have a 2004 Navigator which is similar and love it, but it also only gets 16 MPG tops which is its biggest fault.

Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has never had the spark plugs changed assume that it needs them, and if I can't do it yourself call a shop for a quote. Or search here. They break and require special tools to replace. I believe it's $500 to $1000 for that job.

Does it have air suspension? If so it probably has leaks and you either need to replace the air springs or convert to standard springs.

Test everything, all those little electrical parts add up quickly. Transmission should be pretty reliable in 2003.

We have a 2004 Navigator which is similar and love it, but it also only gets 16 MPG tops which is its biggest fault.

Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll ask if the sparks have ever been changed when I go back eventually, it seems I'm gonna get it, and I haven't noticed anything obvious that screams "Air suspension" to me, how do I check that, just look underneath for springs? Heh, and I have been checking the electrics, I'm super **** about the gadgets in my cars because those are one of the things I love about cars, control panels, switches, levers, motors, all that fun stuff.

Also, I'm just curious, what's this Tapatalk thing I see at the end of a lot of messages on this forum?

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look, to be honest it's a Ford and so you're going to have to be able to turn wrenches, pay someone else to do so or just buy a Toyota and be happy!

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're intent on having an expedition the price of the one you're talking about seems overly high in my opinion. Also I personally would stay away from the 5.4 3 valve engine.

In AZ I can get 2003 Expeditions all day long for 4 or 5k.

Reaction score
If you're intent on having an expedition the price of the one you're talking about seems overly high in my opinion. Also I personally would stay away from the 5.4 3 valve engine.

In AZ I can get 2003 Expeditions all day long for 4 or 5k.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the price. I just picked up a 2004 eb in socal for 3k.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look, to be honest it's a Ford and so you're going to have to be able to turn wrenches, pay someone else to do so or just buy a Toyota and be happy!

Well, I do plan to learn how to fix things, I'd prefer to handle stuff like oil changes on my own, but I'm an IT guy, so... baby steps, ya know? I'm not sure I trust myself to work on something that I use to hurtle myself down the highway at 70mph just yet... which is why most of my repairs have involved little things so far, like headlights, foglights, wipers, interior stuff. I suppose I could work on the engine just fine, I know how to refill an AC system for example, but I don't want to touch the wheels, I might mess with an alignment or unbalance one of them, wouldn't I?

And about the price... I dunno, I live in maryland so perhaps it's worth more out this way? Ehhh maybe I'll mention it to the others and we'll try to get it for less, but yeah I sort of am set on this, my explorer is an absolute hell to drive with its ruined exhaust and I don't have three grand to fix that Damn timing chain. Also, being 6 foot and 500 pounds, I can fit pretty well in that big thing. Though I'm working on the weight, appetite killing meds are pretty damn effective, I used to spend all day eating just months ago!

Aaaaand I got sidetracked. So, what about the engine should I be avoiding? Does the 03 expedition have something akin to my explorer's Timing chains that require thousands to fix because the engine has to be removed and disassembled? Then again, I suppose no engine is ever perfect.