Those puzzle-piece gym floor mats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
Anyone using those puzzle-piece interlocking rubber gym mat panels for their cargo space floor cover? I bought a set of these from Academy Sports and they fit beautifully, but the stink was less than beautiful and got kind of overwhelming in that confined space. I think even after I clean them and air them out, the trace odors will accumulate within the vehicle. Also concerned about the ever-present California Proposition 65 "known to cause cancer" warning, since I expect to be in the car breathing this stuff several hours a day....

I could switch to a rug, but a rug wouldn't do as good a job of cushioning and covering the hardware where the 3rd-row bench seat used to be in my 2000 Expedition.

What say you?

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I grabbed the rubber bed mat from a new F150. Cut it to size (width is almost perfect when cut in line with wheel wheel cutouts, length was close for my EL, but still had to cut down) and laid it inside. Had same issue with the 'smell' of the new rubber. I just left it out on my mesh trailer for a week. Let it rain on it and the sun heat it all up. After a week I tossed it back in and literally almost no stink.

No guarantees it will work for you, but it did for me.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody have Weathertech (or similar) for the cargo area? My concern is what do you do with the liner when you're out and now need the 3rd row seating. Can it roll up?

SoCalStig

Reaction score
I have the Husky Liner version in my '06. It does roll up, as that was how it was shipped in the cardboard box when i bought it.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody have Weathertech (or similar) for the cargo area? My concern is what do you do with the liner when you're out and now need the 3rd row seating. Can it roll up?

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

It rolls up easily and sits right behind the 3rd row seats. Truly the only downfall to it is the mat makes it a little cumbersome to access the storage area underneath the rear where the jack and stuff sits.