ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

detailer03

Reaction score
I have an 01 with 5.4
Under light accel there is a faint ticking noise. not a lifter or rocker arm type, it goes away once I stop accel.
it sounds like a small exhaust leak but it comes from under the hood.

I have about 150K on it, oil is full (synthetic).

Any ideas.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a length of garden hose and have someone rev the engine a little. You can then point the end of the hose on suspected areas.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 01 with 5.4
Under light accel there is a faint ticking noise. not a lifter or rocker arm type, it goes away once I stop accel.

Any ideas.

Basics - but is the oil level correct? Are you using a high-quality filter such as Motorcraft?

You could take the vehicle to an exhaust repair facility, place it on a lift while the engine is running to see if there is a small exhaust leak. There should be carbon "witnesss marks" where at the location of any leaks.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 01 with 5.4

Any ideas.

I think the exhaust manifolds are under the hood

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Exhaust manifold studs are very common to rust away causing a tick at startup and acceleration. At idle it will typically go away if it's a small leak after about 10-15 seconds then only do it on acceleration.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had something similar when I used to use Mobil 1 5w20. I switched to 5w30 motorcraft for this reason. Could also be an exhaust leak.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Detailer03,
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING UP. We really appreciate that. I notice many posts just die so we don't know if the suggestions worked or not. Your repair will give others with that noise a place to look and us an idea to pass on to others. Great Job
thanks,
Gary

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK