"Tink" noise from rear end when engaged transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I shift to reverse or drive I'm getting a TINK noise from the rear end. Sounds like a piece of gravel flew up and hit the driveshaft or someone tapped the driveshaft with a hammer. My first thought was u-joint but they seem tight. However I believe they are original, so non-greasable, 16 years old and 123k miles. Normally I'd just change the u-joints and see what happens. What worries me is the pinion seal has been leaking since I bought the truck which at that time had 117k miles. Fluid level is good and looks clean but I'm concerned as to why the seal failed. Is seal failure normal for the age and mileage or do I potentially have a failing pinion bearing thus the leak and now the noise.
On the plus side there isn't any noise from the rear diff like howling and no vibrations.
Thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the pinion bearings were causing the seal failure you would hear it around the time of the leak. A plugged vent will cause seals to leak along with them just being old.

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like I should replace the seal and u-joints and see if the issue is corrected?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on bad the leak is. A weep will look like a leak but the level takes a very long time to drop. Those are not a fix it now leak. If the rear end is soaked then yes fix it now.
Be aware of the preload torque on the nut. If it isn't correct you will rebuild the rear end at high cost.

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leak has started dripping on the ground. Pre-load was my next question. Ford dealer quoted $143 to do the seal. I should have a shop do it since I don't have the proper tools anyway. May as well have them do the u-joints. I'm burned out on vehicle maintenance and repairs. Both our daily drivers have about the same mileage and service schedules. Seems like I'm always under one or the other....

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got around to this. Found the bolts holding the yoke to the flange were all loose. One bolt had backed out several threads and the others were barely finger tight.
Rear u joint was a little rough & still..
Would've changed both u-joints but the AC Delco u-joints I bought from Rockauto were of such poor quality I could only use one. One of the bearing cups shattered while I was pressing it in and on the other joint, one bearing cap was slightly larger in diameter than the rest. Had to swap a cup from the joint with the shattered cup.