Tip and Slide Only Works with LATCH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assumed this when I saw how they tip/fold. I have the same issue as two of my kids are big enough to use the seat belt to secure their car seat. We have three kids and I keep going back and forth between getting captains seats vs bench. Have you thought of captains vs bench, how many kids etc?
My kids are 3 and 1. The 3yo is in a high-backed booster and the 1yo is in a rear-facing. I prefer the look of the captains, but thought the bench would provide more seating and a place for the ubiquitous "toy bin" on road trips. But the only way a bench would be feasible was if the Tip and Slide worked...otherwise the car seats combined with the bench make the third row unreachable. So because the Tip and Slide wont work with my current car seats, I will be forced into the captains and folks will have to walk around those seats to get into the third row.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My kids are 3 and 1. The 3yo is in a high-backed booster and the 1yo is in a rear-facing. I prefer the look of the captains, but thought the bench would provide more seating and a place for the ubiquitous "toy bin" on road trips. But the only way a bench would be feasible was if the Tip and Slide worked...otherwise the car seats combined with the bench make the third row unreachable. So because the Tip and Slide wont work with my current car seats, I will be forced into the captains and folks will have to walk around those seats to get into the third row.
I just assumed the latch system was on all car seats but I guess not. Our infant seat has it but the convertible one does not. Do they make convertible seats with latch?

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just assumed the latch system was on all car seats but I guess not. Our infant seat has it but the convertible one does not. Do they make convertible seats with latch?
They do...our high back booster is a convertible (it’s the Britax Pinnacle). It has LATCH but it’s only suitable for 40lbs and below. I think a lot of the convertible ones do, but not all because it’s not recommended for heavier kids.

Take all this with a grain of salt, however, as my wife is the car seat guru.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do...our high back booster is a convertible (it’s the Britax Pinnacle). It has LATCH but it’s only suitable for 40lbs and below. I think a lot of the convertible ones do, but not all because it’s not recommended for heavier kids.

Take all this with a grain of salt, however, as my wife is the car seat guru.
Ah, good to know. We’ll look at ones with LATCH when it’s time to move the youngest one up. If we end up without one with LATCH we nay just put one of the kids in the 3rd row to free up the tilt seat for access. We mainly got 3 rows for the in laws when they are in town and later for kid friends but by then the car seat won’t be an issue.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, good to know. We’ll look at ones with LATCH when it’s time to move the youngest one up. If we end up without one with LATCH we nay just put one of the kids in the 3rd row to free up the tilt seat for access. We mainly got 3 rows for the in laws when they are in town and later for kid friends but by then the car seat won’t be an issue.

Also remember when the kidos get older and heavier, more than 40 LBS, it’s actually safer without the latch. Reason being that a latch, attached to that thin belt made by various car seat manufacturers, is no where near as strong as the actual car seat belt. Also Car seat belts have tons of technology in them, integrated with braking, collision sensors, pre-collision warning sensors, and they’re just plain stronger because they’re designed to secure large, heavy adults. That’s why they recommend you to switch from the latch to using seat belts to secure a car seat once your child is heavier. I didn’t know any of this until our kids got older and I did research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figure by the time my kids are old enough to be out of car seats and boosters and whatnot I’ll be due for another new Expi all over again anyway. Haha

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figure by the time my kids are old enough to be out of car seats and boosters and whatnot I’ll be due for another new Expi all over again anyway. Haha
I joked about the same thing with the wife but over the console vs bench seat. My argument was that once they are out of the kid seats they will want room for their stuff and cup holders so we will probably want to get one with a console next. surprisingly she didn’t say ‘NO’ hahaha.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of the backless latch boosters require the use of a seatbelt; the latch anchors just keep it in place... you know, like when the seat itself tips and slides. $35 on Amazon. Personally, we've got 4 kids, so giving up the bench means we can't fit all 6 of us and two grandparents....

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of the backless latch boosters require the use of a seatbelt; the latch anchors just keep it in place... you know, like when the seat itself tips and slides. $35 on Amazon. Personally, we've got 4 kids, so giving up the bench means we can't fit all 6 of us and two grandparents....
This is why we went with the bench. Yeah it may be weird in a higher trim level but we have people to stick in there. My in laws have to fly when they come because of the distance so we really don’t want to have to take 2 cars everywhere we go when they are here. So to be able to use the third row we will stick a kid in their car seat back there and now grandma and granddad can each sit next to one of the kids and we can still use the tilt and slide seat feature. Problem solved.