Tire Pressure Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all, I just want to say how much of a PITA these sensors and the whole system in general is. I received my Expedition in April of this year with this issue. When I start the truck the TPMS light will blink for about 20 seconds and then shut off. The Message Center displays "Tire Pressure System Fault". When viewing the codes of the TPMS module it displays B2872 which is "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" so I purchased 4 Dorman 974-002 tire pressure sensors thinking that if one is dead, then the rest are probably not far behind. I get the tires broke down no sensors are in the vehicle at all. I was aggravated that the dealer I purchased this from probably didn't want to fool with them, but at least I had new ones to install. So I get the new ones installed and go to do the OEM relearn process and not a single sensor is recognized by the TPMS module. I called Dorman and they said I am doing everything correctly. I looked at the ford service manual and it shows that mine should be light blue. the current ones are black/grey. Any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy. Thanks!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're supposed to have light blue sensors, I can safely assume that you have a 2005-2006 Expedition? The 2003-2004 used a black sensor, they're different. I can't say much about the Dormans, but since all 4 aren't being recognized then it's either the wrong sensors or an issue with the VSM (Vehicle Security Module, the TPMS is integral to it). If you don't have any other fault codes from the VSM than TPMS sensor failure, you can try to buy at least one OEM sensor and see if it recognizes it. You don't have to physically mount the sensor in the wheel to test it, just initiate the relearn procedure and try to program it (should be by holding a strong magnet to it.)

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2004. I just went by the service tech disc for a 04. I have a black sensor though. I removed the TPMS module this morning and turned the key on just to see what it would do and the light stayed on solid so the module is at least communicating. I will see if I can get a motorcraft one and see what it does.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, the '04 has a black sensor, not light blue. They are not interchangeable. They are programmed in the same way with a magnet from what I can see.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A decent old school tire gauge is under $20, no programming, no batteries, no fault indicator & mine has been "working" great for the last 20 years. It only requires you to turn around and look at the tires as you walk away. Granted you do have to bend to check them, but I look at it as a necessary evil.

Who needs this new electronic crap?

Last edited:
OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm cursing at it constantly. Only reason I want it working is so I don't see the error at start up each time. If I could do it I would rip it all out. Never had it before and never needed it, but the errors bug me enough that I want it fixed.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not long until it's required I think. In the EU it's already a requirement as they realize the general public is too lazy to check tire pressures. In the EU, if the car was made with TPMS (required after a certain model year, not sure which), the car will not pass the semi annual inspection if the system doesn't work. So, no way around it.. :) I'm sure US will be the same soon, if not already...

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not long until it's required I think. In the EU it's already a requirement as they realize the general public is too lazy to check tire pressures. In the EU, if the car was made with TPMS (required after a certain model year, not sure which), the car will not pass the semi annual inspection if the system doesn't work. So, no way around it.. :) I'm sure US will be the same soon, if not already...

It has been required on all vehicles manufactured since 2007. I don't imagine they will ever apply the law retroactively to vehicles manufactured prior to that as we still don't even require seatbelts in vehicles manufactured prior to 1964.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think what Skauber is meaning is that if a vehicle before 2007 already had TPMS and is no longer functioning properly, then it will not pass inspection.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the EU yes, not sure if the US does the same. If a vehicle before the required model year had it from factory, lets use 2007 as an example, it has to work. If you have a blinking TPMS indicator in the dash and DTC's showing the system doesn't work, regardless of what model year it is it won't pass inspection. The requirement model year, (lets say 2007, was too lazy to check when EU passed the legislation) notes when a car will not be allowed to be sold new in EU if it does not come with TPMS from the factory, i.e. all vehicles from that year MUST have it or else they can't be sold. I know EU and US is different though, so I'm not saying he has to fix it due to that. :)