Tire Size Stock Ride Height Stock Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoCougs

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition XLT with stock rims. I'm looking at getting new tires this week and would like to go a little larger than the 265/70/17's that are currently on it. I don't have the money for different rims or for a lift right now. From my brief research I believe 285/70/17's should fit with no problems. Is this true?

Thanks!

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition XLT with stock rims. I'm looking at getting new tires this week and would like to go a little larger than the 265/70/17's that are currently on it. I don't have the money for different rims or for a lift right now. From my brief research I believe 285/70/17's should fit with no problems. Is this true?

Thanks!
Are you more worried about a wider or taller tire? Or would you like both?

OP
OP
G

GoCougs

Reaction score
Are you more worried about a wider or taller tire? Or would you like both?
I'm not worried about a wider or taller tire I want a wider and taller tire, I'm worried about rubbing. I want to put 35x12.5/17's on it but I know those wont fit without a lift and different rims for a different offset. So since I can't afford the lift or rims right now but I need new tires I want to get the largest I can run without rubbing.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I'm not worried about a wider or taller tire I want a wider and taller tire, I'm worried about rubbing. I want to put 35x12.5/17's on it but I know those wont fit without a lift and different rims for a different offset. So since I can't afford the lift or rims right now but I need new tires I want to get the largest I can run without rubbing.
From a few quick searches on google I also see the consensus is 285/70/17s should be just find. Anything wider than say 11.5 and taller than 33 you will probably need a lift or a lot of modification. I’m not an expert, just going on what Ive seen on other websites

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
I have 33.5, lifted, but don't need the lift for tire clearance. I could easily go 35" tires with the lift. BTW, the lift was less than $400 (2" spacers, shopping around), and really really really helps with offroad clearance. I previously high-centered on bs little bumps and now command the same offroad spaces.

OP
OP
G

GoCougs

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm going to Les Schwab in the am to have some Toyo ATs in 285/70 17's put on. Hopefully they fit with no problem and Les Schwab isn't too busy, not so sure about that second part though seeing as today has been our first snow with any accumulation this winter.

OP
OP
G

GoCougs

Reaction score
I have 33.5, lifted, but don't need the lift for tire clearance. I could easily go 35" tires with the lift. BTW, the lift was less than $400 (2" spacers, shopping around), and really really really helps with offroad clearance. I previously high-centered on bs little bumps and now command the same offroad spaces.
How does it ride with those spacers? I've heard they can produce a rough ride off road.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Actually, I can't tell the difference. Highways are smooth, so no difference. Offroad, I am so stoked that I'm not getting stuck that I just keep moving. Nobody in the car is complaining either (wife, kid, dog).

Rebel4fun

Reaction score

Hey! I'm just starting on my expi for off road and so many people are hating! Did you upgrade your upper control arms with uni ball joints in the front and back? What have you done / products you've used.
First thing im doing is Rancho strut assemblies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971