Tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpgo4th

Reaction score
I have 275/55R20 Cooper tires on my 2007 El. All 4 tires are wearing the very inside edge to the point of cord showing. The rest of the tire has about 5/32 tread left. My local shop says that Expeditions are pretty hard on tires in general but thinks a front end alignment will fix this. I've already ordered a set of Toyo's to replace these with because I going on a 2,000 mile trip next week and dont trust the tires I have. Anyone seen this kind of wear on there tires before?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new tires are only a temp fix imho.
do you rotate them every 5,000 or so?
I'd get a four-wheel alignment. worth every penny imho.
report back.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rotation is very important for even tire wear, but your problem is alignment related. If your toe setting is off beyond the spec's that the manufacturer states, you'll get tire wear on either inside like yours, or outside of tread. Usually if tread is wearing less than 1 1/2 inches of inside/outside of tire, that's toe in/out settings. Beyond the 1 1/2 to 2 inch wear that's camber in/out settings out of specifications. Add to this any play in your ball joints, tie rod ends, or any steering related parts, and you'll wear out your new tires premature as well. Have your shop perform a full front end inspection, replace any worn parts, then do a 4 wheel alignment.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mpgo4th

Reaction score
I put the new tires on today. I had an alignment shop do the 4 wheel alignment right after that. They said the toe on the left rear was out pretty bad and the right rear was just out of spec. They said the way it was would account for my tire wear. I have the print out of the specs before and after if anyone is interested.
To answer an earlier question, yes I rotate front to back every oil change which is every 5k.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toe in or out has NOTHING to do with wear to the inside or outside of the tires. Inside/outside wear has to do with Camber... An alignment has to do with the toe in or out of the front tires either pointing in slightly, or pointing out. Camber has to do with the lean in or out of the top of the tire. Id get your ball joints inspected... although, Ive never seen or heard of a set wearing out on an Expedition. An Explorer or Durango are a different story though...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360